Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wiper problems

Ged

Been having an ongoing problem with the wipers not parking correctly.

The cars a R300 Duratec with the new style push button dash.

The wipers are parking themselves when I switch them off rather than going to the park position at the bottom of the screen. When on intermitent, rather than two sweeps then park for for a few seconds, they seem to be doing one and a bit sweeps then parking at any position on the screen. Same when I use the wash wipe.

Anyone got any idea's, is the parking system built into the motor, or a separate module? Could it be a bad connection?

Any advice gratefully received.

Going aero is not an option *tongue*

The park switch is in the motor. When the wipers are in any other position than parked the switch sends a +12v out on a wire which is then sent back to the slow speed wire when the wipers are switched off via the old style rocker switch. On yours I would think it will go to the relay module that works a lot of the electrics in your car. Other than that I haven't got a clue how it's wired so unless anyone else has an idea I think a call to Caterham technical would be a good idea.

Jason

• 5 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this, but has any one else come across this problem yet?

I changed the parking switch last year to no avail, and have just plugged in a new motor, from Caterham with no success.

I'm a bit stumped now, suppose the only other thing is the relay module.

I've definitely got a permanent 12v to feed the park switch, 12v for intermittant/slow speed, 12v high speed and an earth. Not sure what the 5th pin does.

Going to have another go tonight, with a dismantled park switch and voltmeter. If this fails I think I'll take to a local auto electrician, see what they make of it.

Thanks tbird and others. Had another go last night, but didn't get anywhere. I'm pretty sure it's not the motor or the park switch, that only leaves the electronic control module. Think I'll book it into a decent auto-electricians, see if they can sort it, even if they have to re-wire it through it's own relay. Might ask them to fit an extra push button, for a single wipe.

But the self-park shouldn't rely on the electronics at all.

If the parking pin is a permanent 12 v (it should be) and the park switch is working then the wiper motor should be permanently powered until it reaches the park position.

The electronics are only used to start/keep the wipers moving and to select which speed.

With the wipers stopped in mid sweep, you should be able to trace the 12 v from the park feed through the park switch to the motor. When the volts stop you have found the failing part.