Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front Mudguards

Master Thatcher

Either method appears to be popular - so long as it's done right. Plenty of threads on here regarding removal of powder-coat from wing stays, using big-heads&cable ties, or wrapping Sikaflex around the stays.

Me - I've bolted them on, but wish I hadn't. Now have cracked wings around the bolt holes. ☹️

On the bright side - they'd have cracked anyway from stone chips *wink*

Richy

I've seen wings that were bonded on with crazing around the bond, so you can get that either way ☹️

I'm sure Caterham don't use bolts, because it is time consuming to do a neat job.

Sikaflex works if it's done right, so do bolts.

If you really want them to stay put, use glue and bolts 😬

Duncan

• Area Representative

Master Thatcher,

What is still stuck to what?

Either way good preparation and materials is the answer.

If the wing and stay are cleaned up, and the surfaces roughened, then a liberal spread of any PU adhesive/sealant is stronger and neater than screws.

My wings have had some hammer, but I've never had a wing come off.

• Area Representative

Quoting Richard Price: 

My wings have had some hammer, but I've never had a wing come off.

Is that what they call a big orange cone now! 😬

I agree that done properly, mastic works very well. The only time we have had a wing come off was a) when the hard as nails stuff used before our ownership factured and split (and was replaced successfully with mastic) and b) when the wing stay sheared - although the mastic still did its job and the wing was technically still attached to the stay 😬

Nick

Quoting Master Thatcher: 
Why oh why are these just stuck on??

Nearside one came loose today off front spa, and it just had to flap till I got home!! Slightly embarrassing driving at 25mph

What's the remedy please stick or bolt?.

Could you tell us a bit more? Who stuck these on, and with what? Was the goo wrapped around the stay?

Jonathan

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Quoting Master Thatcher: 
Why oh why are these just stuck on??

Nearside one came loose today off front spa, and it just had to flap till I got home!! Slightly embarrassing driving at 25mph

What's the remedy please stick or bolt?.

Could you tell us a bit more? Who stuck these on, and with what? Was the goo wrapped around the stay?

Yes looks like Sikaflex, - swine to get off!! previous owner stuck them on I presume, other one is on really well!!

Jonathan

Edited by - Master Thatcher on 23 Jul 2012 12:14:09

Quoting Jonathan Kay: 
Thanks.

If it's Sikaflex wrapped all around the stay which bit failed? Did the tube of Sikaflex rupture?

Jonathan

Looks like the sika failed where it was epoxyed onto the fender, couldbe that the surface was'nt clean or not scored for a good bond,

Think I might rivet them on, as I have a friend who assures me using a complex of gromets and fasteners he can do a great job without causing any spyder cracks or chips, he works for Bentley Motors down the road!

I've bolted mine on but used rubber grommets on the top side between the bolt head and wing and a strip of sticky padding on the underside to act as an insulator to vibrations.

No visible cracking to date so fingers crossed!