Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ABS Cycle wings - updated, now vinyl wrapped

Grubbster

Just bought a pair of these from CC so I can have a practice at vinyl wrapping them (planning to DIY wrap my Academy car before I build it so I'm in the learning stage!). They are cheaper and lighter than fiberglass ones (although certainly won't be as strong) just wondered if anyone here has used them? It says race use only on the website, any idea why they can't be used on the road?

I'll also have a go at sticking bigheads on and see if the usual adhesives actually stick to ABS.

Edited by - grubbster on 22 Jun 2012 22:23:02

Yes, I've used them. They're made by Steve at YC Plastics who also makes the ABS half-doors. Sadly his deal with CC means he can't sell them direct anymore and I refuse to pay CC's markup!

They're actually tougher than fibreglass but not indestructible. Don't see why you shouldn't use them on the road. Tigerseal or Sikaflex works fine to stick them on, don't know about whatever glue you might use with bigheads.

Thanks Roger, I'll be using them as spares for next years academy, good to hear they are reasonably tough.

Cheers John, very kind of you - I'm happy to pay you for them though. No rush, the academy kit won't be here till the autumn, gives me a bit of time to learn how to wrap *biggrin*

Quoting Tony Whitley: 
*thumbup* but you must have been *cry* *mad* 😔 *rolleyes* at the crinkly stage!

I was! The vinyl is quite amazing, you can give it a lot of abuse and it still comes out OK. I wouldn't say it is easy to get rid of all the crinkles, but with a bit of patience and a hair dryer I got there in the end.

I got mine from here, the one I used in this trial is the Countach Green near the bottom of this page.

I watched a lot of wrapping videos, there is a good one of someone carbon wrapping a wing

, it's only the last stages but shows how tough the vinyl is. He makes it look a lot easier than I found it.

I need to decide on what colour to go for now and whether to use a fancy wrap or plain.

I just tried to wrap another wing using a different type of material and failed miserably! This was a fluorescent vinyl from a different manufacturer (from the same supplier) and I couldn't work with it well at all, I very quickly damaged the vinyl. So I need to be very careful which I choose to do the whole car with.

This one took me about 90 minutes, I reckon with practice that could come down to half an hour. The choice of material is very important and 3 hands would be helpful! I've been in touch with MDP where I bought the pieces to experiment with and now I understand why I had problems with the fluorescent vinyl. It is a cast film suited to car wrapping but it doesn't have an air release system so it's a bit harder to work with, more suited to people with experience! So I'll be sticking with the slightly more expensive films with air release. I also tried some carbon effect filem, that was the easiest so far and looks very good but quite expensive!

ABS is as you say. Basically it is polystyrene which is stiff but brittle so polymerise with rubber to get impact then add acrylonitrile to in crease stiffness a bit and increase chemical resistance. Bit more complex than that to make. The additive package is key to weathering and these days can be good. This is the key to prevent degradation. Most long term exterior parts should be painted or otherwise protected to retain properties.

Peter

Carbon effect wings and headlamps are very different to carbon effect vinyl wrap (which is textured) - I'm not going to get either, I just happened to have a bit of vinyl to play with - it was from Hexis. My freind who wraps vehicles in Kent is going to give me a lesson before I tackle the 7, he offered to do it for me but I'm going to have a go myself.