Click here if you are having website access problems ×

steering rack overhaul

6speedmanual

Anyone know if there is a special method to getting the pinion out?

It seems to have a shoulder at its base which stops it being withdrawn past the rack.

Can't take rack out first because the pinion cannot drive past end of rack teeth.

Am I missing a trick?

Thanks

Peter

Peter,

I have an article written for a Elise Titan rack, same basic design, BM me and I will send it to you along with a .pdf drawing of the rack with bearing part numbers.

Pinion is awkward to extract, the shoulder you mention is the lower ball brg. The lower end of the pinion is a shug fit in the lower brg inner race, I refitted the column UJ and that gave me something to pull on with the rack held in a vice.

Phil

I've rebuilt two racks yesterday with the assistance of Phil B's very helpful notes, which as yet I haven't thanked him for properly! Thanks very much Phil *thumbup*

Like you I was initially stumped. You cannot press it out from the reverse side as the bearing and blanking plug are too large in diameter to fit past the rack itself. However, the blanking plug is only thin steel somewhat like an engine core plug; I simply punched the pinion out with a sturdy pin punch and drove the pinion out. Obviously you'll need a new blanking disc afterwards. I could not see any way of pulling the pinion out without damaging the splines, except perhaps with a special pulling tool.

Titan sold me rebuild parts but the minimum order is now £35 excluding vat and delivery!

Edited by - James_Russell on 13 May 2012 17:31:10

James

Thanks for your contribution to the discussion.

Good that Titan offer a spares service. Despite what has been mentioned on here with conflicting info, Titan will deal direct and not always refer back to Caterham. Just unique Caterham parts like dry-sump pans are not supposed to be sold direct. Most othet things, like the inner guts of a rack are not unique to Caterham, sharing components across their rack range.

I think most of the parts are probably avaible from other places too. (eg Redline, bearing factors, etc)

The blanking plate could be cut from a piece of sheet of the right thickness.

Doing a strip and rebuild and knowing every step of the reassembly has been tuned can be very satisfying.

Cheers

Peter

Re: blanking disc thickness- between the disc and the lower bearing there will probably be at least one Belleville washer, pretty nifty because it negates the need for the pinion plunge depth to be accurately shimmed.

I think the only real oversight I made concerned lubrication- I re-lubed the rack with normal Castrol LM grease but the stuff that was in there was very thick and I expect would probably do a better job. In future I'll buy the stuff recommended by Phil B's literature *thumbup*

P.S I'm sure you could get bearings, washers, 'O'-rings etc from alternative sources- but when the rack is in bits it is particularly worthwhile to renew the Nylon thrust pad shoe and the two Nylon shoes which run on the inner ball joints and these parts I expect are Titan bespoke.

The thrust pad shoe on the one I just had apart was steel. Race-tuned before reassembly by polishing its rubbing face.

Trackrod kits avail from Raceline.

I helped with this work on a friend's and almost want to do mine. But it just doesn't need it...

Peter

Quoting Paul Deslandes: 
Please Sir, can we have a technical Wiki on Blatchat?

*arrowup*+1 *thumbup* *thumbup*

There's so much useful info in this site that it really could do with organising into a more formal arrangement such as a wiki..

Just imagine the hours of fun distilling all the knowledge, experience, tips & tricks out there into wikis!!!!

Formatting edit

Edited by - Neil66 on 14 May 2012 13:20:46

that's very true and TT is invaluable. But, if you have a question that needs an urgent answer then a wiki could give you the answer straight away and become the repository for knowledge. It might also help new members who haven't yet found their way through the archive search facility and ask the same questions over and over again.

I do agree though that the depth of knowledge of specific and general nature that's available and drawn out by discussion is incredible.

• 5 years later...