Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Range and size of the SV fuel tank

Dan Marsh

So I found out yesterda exactly how far one can go on the accessible fuel in my Sigma 125 SV. Although the tank is supposedly 41l, which should give a range of over 300miles, I coasted to a stop on the M4 last night after 284 miles!

Due to my battery apparently being dicky (the hazards were on for about 15 mins before they had drained the battery!), I was worried it was something electrical - altenator maybe. But sticking a few litres of fuel in this morning I could here it hit the bottom of the tank. Filled her up at ASDA and it seems that only 35l are accessible in the SV tank. My fuel guage is (obviously) inaccurate so now I know that at a maximum 250 miles I really need to top up!

Dan M

If you do a search in BlatChat, you will see that no matter how empty you run a Seven tank, you can never get the supposed capacity in when refuelling.

My 2002 1.8 VVC SV can manage 300 miles on a tank if I am careful. Usually fill up by 260 miles if touring or 220 miles on a Sunday morning.

Gauge is pretty good - I can run it until the needle gets below the red line.

Like you, I found out the hard way. I couldn't go for more than 238 miles, in my case, and in my CSR 260, but I can't remember how many litres I had to put in to refuel, but I'm pretty sure it was nowhere near the 42 that the tank is supposed to take. I always zero my trip meter when fueling now, and start panicking around the 200 mile mark *eek* *wink*

Paul

Quoting Dan Marsh: 
So I found out yesterda exactly how far one can go on the accessible fuel in my Sigma 125 SV. Although the tank is supposedly 41l, which should give a range of over 300miles, I coasted to a stop on the M4 last night after 284 miles!

Due to my battery apparently being dicky (the hazards were on for about 15 mins before they had drained the battery!), I was worried it was something electrical - altenator maybe. But sticking a few litres of fuel in this morning I could here it hit the bottom of the tank. Filled her up at ASDA and it seems that only 35l are accessible in the SV tank. My fuel guage is (obviously) inaccurate so now I know that at a maximum 250 miles I really need to top up!

Dan M

If yours is an early one like mine the fuel pump was not located so as to be able to get the last 5 ish litres. The fuel gauge was therefore over reading. The solution? Re-seat the fuel pump? No. Caterham replaced the rev counter which in turn meant that the fuel gauge was then more accurate. Not sure that explains it properly but the problem and the fix was well documented at the time.

Quoting huwp: 
Quoting Dan Marsh: 

Dan M

If yours is an early one like mine the fuel pump was not located so as to be able to get the last 5 ish litres. The fuel gauge was therefore over reading. The solution? Re-seat the fuel pump? No. Caterham replaced the rev counter which in turn meant that the fuel gauge was then more accurate. Not sure that explains it properly but the problem and the fix was well documented at the time.

Really? Never heard of this at all and mine was the 5th one delivered from the factory...

Just to update you I covered the 216 mile round trip to Stoneleigh plus about 15 miles round and about on just over half a tank in mine this weekend...

The longest I have covered between fillups was 234 miles. However this only used 32.84 litres at 32.4 mpg.

The most I have ever put in was 38.3 litres and the best mg was 38mpg, so the best theoretical range is around 320 miles unless I run it down to empty.

I typically fill up when I am 1/4 - about 160-180 miles.

Steve

CSR 260

This is a timely thread as normally I fill it up between 160-180 miles. And am off to the IOM next week.

Right now I have 1/8th tank showing on the gauge and 181 miles on the clock . So I shall pay particular interest to see how much I have to feed the tank and work out my MPG.

Mike

This is all jolly interesting. The gauge on my R400D S3 is wildly pessimistic. With a full tank it reads about 3/4, and will quite happily show minus 1/4 when maybe two gallons remain. I rely much more on the trip meter, refilling at 180-200, but even then managing to put in only 27-30 litres. On one occasion, I began to run out (misfiring etc) but could squeeze in only 32.5 litres, so for long trips I now always carry a spare can.

And how accurate is the mileage on the speedo trip. About as accurate as the speedo itself.
Indeed, but sensor-driven speedos with stepper motors can be recalibrated very easily to an amazing level of accuracy (better than 0.1% if you have the patience).

JV

That is what I have done, as soon as SPA came out with their fuel gauge. Now all SPA gauge dash. Plus special 43 litre tank. So the speedo and mileage/kilometre readings are accurate and also the tank reading. Typically fill up at 1/8 full with 38 litres and will have covered 270 miles. Great feeling of "not going to run out of fuel" that originally had with old standard set up, especially on long trips to France or Germany

Quoting peter clarke: 
as soon as SPA came out with their fuel gauge.
But you can also recalibrate the standard CC/Caerbont "programmable" unit to less than 0.1% trip mileage error, provided your satnav can produce an accurate mileage reading.

JV

Quoting mav: 
Quoting huwp: 
Quoting Dan Marsh: 

Dan M

Really? Never heard of this at all and mine was the 5th one delivered from the factory...

Just to update you I covered the 216 mile round trip to Stoneleigh plus about 15 miles round and about on just over half a tank in mine this weekend...

Took delivery of mine in July '07. Warranty work was done at Millwood for this problem. I think I recall some discussion on the forum at the time. I'm no auto electrician but the fix (replacing the rev counter) was something to do with the way electricity flows in series...or something like that. I'll search techtalk and see what's there...

Peter - in answer to your suggestion that the trip meter/milometer is inaccurate - we've tested it against AA Routemaps and the SatNav and it matches these to less than a mile, both on short trips, 40-60 miles where it is almost spot on, and several years' worth of 250+ runs to the west country.

But when it comes to speed the gauge always shows more than the SatNav!

Anton, I remember my original set up with 6 speed box and 3.91 diff was way off, about 15+ % from memory. This was back in 1997 when such things seemed less important; that was the reason for the comment. Yes I too have set things up with gps unit and know distances

With regard to adjusting the then standard mechanical speedo and it's nasty unreliable drive from the gear box, don't think you can adjust this one.

Having just filled up with 23 litres, I managed 36MPG in the 7 😬, which is 10 better than the tin top

Jolly pleased with that, be interested to know how much further the 7 will go, I'm guessing another 60 miles (maybe more but I'll play it safe).

Mike.

I bought my R400 SV from CC and was informed it had "the larger tank". Whatever the size, I can only get 36l in when filled carefully to the top, according to the STACK guage, which does record the amount I put in accurately, so I would assume 36 is it *confused*

I get 34-36 on a run sticking close to speed limits (on the plus side) and being swift on acceleration so am very happy with that. This gives me 250 miles before I look to top up.

Less than 20 on the track *biggrin*

Hope that helps *thumbup*

• 2 years later...

Apologies if there is a more recent thread but I have just found this one having had a panic this morning about only getting ~180 miles before I am well in the red on the fuel guage.  I have a 2014 2.0ltr SV which I think has a 42 litre tank.  

However looking at my petrol receipt I then only filled up with 26.61 litres of fuel (I didn't stand there and squeeze every last drop into the tank but I did fill slowly after the pump cut out automitically so I should be pretty full up).

If I did get 180 miles from 26.61 litres then that equates to 30.7 mpg which for a 2.0lt on the lanes of lancashire seems ok.  

Therefore can I ignore the fuel guage and go to say 250 miles given the theoretically maximum is 30.7 mpg x 42lt tank (9.237 gallons).  Or, is it normal to not use the best part of 14 litres.  I have to say I was dissapointed to only be getting 180 miles but it seems I should be able to get 230-250 and then fill up.

What sort of milegage do other 2.0lt duratec SV drivers get?