Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series Timing belt change advice?

finmac

Car is 04 reg done 5500 miles and I believe running its original belt. I am planning to change it soon but my garage guy can't fit it in till after a forthcoming track day I have coming up. How susceptible to breaking are K series belts, given the mileage and age? Cheers

Recommendation is change every 5 to 6 years IIRC.

Also recommended to change the tensioner at the same time as its going to be 10+ years old when the belt next needs doing if its not done this time round.

Search of techtalk will give you more info.

It's pretty easy to do *wink* Oily will send you all the parts you need (if you don't have them already). Just a case of locking the cams, whipping off the tensioner, off with the belt, on with the new one, tension up, jobs a good'un. Hardest bit is getting the cover off *wink* If you haven't binned the front mount, do that at the same time. Blanking plate is £12 from CC, you'll save close to a kilo of weight.

I've not yet seen a belt break - but I have seen two (one of mine included) strip teeth resulting in wildly-out cam-timing (or lack of cam drive!) and bent/broken valves as a result.

In fact, you can see some of the gore here

Trickiest bit for me was getting the new belt on, even with the tensioner backed right off. Takes a lot of patience and at least three hands to get it started but once you do, it goes on easy. Fine now it's done. Perhaps somebody has a useful tip on how to do that bit. Otherwise, like the man says, make sure you get the right one and compare length with the old one before you fit it.