Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Took a friend for a drive and now......................

Andy Lef

He wants to build his own - 😬

SO POBC what do you thinkis the best way for him to do it on a tight budget and possibly against the will of SWMBO?

Time is not an issue. All ideas welcome.

*wavey*

Edited by - andy lef on 30 Mar 2012 11:40:05

Starter kits aren't too bad value for money, it's then a case of adding bits and bobs as you go, drivetrain he could probably source relatively reasonably, and build it up over time as and when budget allows...

Or, talk to Caterham about the financing options, I did this, and you get a pile of boxes in your garage straight away 😬

In truth the swmbo issue can prove the biggest hurdle. Something to do with the way they are wired which involves a priority verses cost process realignment. Many think the error is on our part but with careful guidance no problem is insurmountable. After all, all current Sevener’s have found the correct releasing agents over time. It’s just knowing where and how much to apply. I don’t claim to be an expert but the following just tipped it over for me:

Take swmbo to the showroom on a warm sunny day. They are always a nice bunch and swmbo will meet other like minded couples doing the same, get talking about anything but 7’s – Yep, its nothing to do with cars, you are introducing her to a whole new social circle of friends / days out / meals etc. This will lead to a few new clothes but a small price to pay.

Showrooms are always warm, there is coffee and shiny cars that look clean and acceptable in a 1950’s way. It’s a fashion statement from a better post war time for Spitfire pilots, the performance is secondary.

Always stand by the R500 and let her notice the price 😳 she will, you will not need to point this out. Apparently this matters to women if its something we want but not often taken into consideration if it’s a new outfit or wedding plans for the daughter. If you want the R500 additional advice from experts will be required.

The Seven you want will appear a bargain and looks just the same to an untrained eye. Casually advise you could save another £2K if you built it yourself and it only takes wet weekend to build one…..nearly true.

It may appear reasonably priced compared to your daughters first wedding. You need to phrase this one better.

Let her sit in and try out the mirrors, they will anyway. But - don’t take it for a test drive, especially if she’s just had her done. If you can’t get round this, use one with screen / doors / heater and keep it to under 30 MPH (this will go against nature but remember the bigger picture).

Oh, and explain that these cars don’t devalue….much at all……

Turn the tele off for a weekend and ask lots of questions about her mother while washing up, she may even wish to visit. No need to mention the Seven during such visit.

Simples? Well not quite, there are bound to be other tips within the community 😬

Another tip, have the 7 long before you even met her, so its a fait accompli - take it or leave it! Also firms the pecking order that its definately 'mine' not 'ours'. First wedding anniversary in a month...... *wink*

Mine won't go out in it either, I agreed to have a full screen but she prefers a roof and a rear exit exhaust. Admittedly the burn was quite nasty but it was me that had to clean the flesh off ☹️

How awesome is an aero, this is true alpha male territory *tongue*

Bob *eek* I think a rear exit still has the can on the side, so that may not help the burns... Perhaps it's time to upgrade to a Duratec *tongue*

Andy, your friend could try the line:

"John's wife doesn't have a problem with his Seven..."

*tongue* *tongue* *tongue*

Edited for Ian's dirty mind *tongue*

Edited by - myothercarsa2cv on 30 Mar 2012 12:35:18

I'm by no means an expert in handling such volatile materials and the example local to me came without the COSHH guidelines - and no receipt as her father explained to me just before the wedding ceremony.

I succeeded with a mix of expectation management and foolhardiness.

The expectation management was an evolution from TVR (too expensive/unreliable - allegedly) through BMW Z4 (too dull) via an Atom (far too expensive) and out to a 7. When the other options are, reluctantly, agreed to be untenable the compromise of a 7 was seen as a much lesser evil. The key IMO is to be very reluctant to cede the first and intervening thoughts - you have to be seen to be won over and converted to her thinking not a disciple of Machiavelli.

The foolhardiness was simply buying it - working on the theory that it's much easy to ask for forgiveness for something done in good faith than ask permission for something that might not be in the Five Year Plan.

Did it work? I think she is warming to 'the stupid toy car' - she's coming on the Taffia Fish and Chip run but has shown little interest in driving it. And as contingncy Troy at Northampton Motorsport (top outfit BTW) has agreed that if any female calls about it the answer is about £500 but I suspect I'm being indulged and will pay for it in some way later. But until then I have a 7 in the garage!

I took my Mrs along with me to the showroom when I placed my order. It helped that it was a sunny day & the sales guy took her out for a passenger ride which went down well (phew 😳)

I had to keep to a budget, so a sigma roadsport with just a few options is what I settled on. I saw Celia looking at the extensive list of options & the prices *eek* & as I had only ticked just a few boxes I was able to comment "Look how much money I've saved" *smile* She replied "SAVED! you have still spent a little over £18k!"

It made the caterham sales guy smile. *biggrin*

That was 5 years ago this week & I still look forward to driving it as much as day one. *thumbup*

Taking SWMBO to showroom can, on occasions, be expensive, we went to test drive a Sigma and SWMBO 🥰 🥰 decided that if we were having one she quite fancied a CSR (as long as the seat could be adjusted for here short legs) took Dominic about 5 minutes to get seat adjusted and deposit in his hand 😬 and up to then she had pretty much disliked anything other than Land Rovers.

Tim