Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wilwood 265mm and Hi-Spec 260mm discs: easy to acquire?

Mankee

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quoting Stationary M25 Traveller: 
Quoting Neil66: 
Quoting Stationary M25 Traveller: 
Probably plain discs too ? I have just e.mailed them to ask (they are only 2 miles down the road from me !)

Good luck with getting a reply - you might be better to phone...

Well, they have just replied by e.mail !

I'm impressed!! Dunno how many emails I sent without a reply... I now have someone in the UK on the case for me...

Quoting Mike Biddle: 
Mankee, are you sure there is a weight penalty?

When I fitred mine, there was a weight saving of 1/2 KG each side. I did actually weigh all the bits, and I fitted 280MM discs.

A 260mm disc has got to weigh more than an equivalent 232mm disc, right? That was the weight penalty I meant, rather than between different calipers, which the Hi-Specs will be significant'y lighter of course. Think I read somewhere that the standard Triumph Herald calipers were about 3.5kgs a piece. Compared to about 1kg for the Ultralite 4s.

Quoting Mike Biddle: 
Mankee, are you sure there is a weight penalty?

When I fitted mine, there was a weight saving of 1/2 KG each side. I did actually weigh all the bits, and I fitted 280MM discs.

Do 280mm discs fit under 13" Minilites? *confused*

I thought 260 was about the limit.

What size wheels are you using, and with which calipers?

Edited by - Unclefester on 16 Feb 2012 11:09:48

As there was zero response to this thread ref a bulk buy, I went ahead and got the 260mm conversion kit with solid discs (and pretty calipers), which came to £481.15 including VAT (but no carriage, as I collected it).

The economy kit has a not so pretty surface finish on the calipers (in silver only), and excludes pads, hoses and brake fluid.

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 16 Feb 2012 13:06:40

Just had a weird conversation in French with LIR Racing here,

here

who are selling EBD discs "for any Caterham Seven " which are 288mm diameter....they swear these fit 'with the original caliper' and with 13" wheels.

Can this possibly be correct?

That's bigger than an Elise disc which is 282mm. The discs are 189 euros a pair.....

Edited by - Unclefester on 16 Feb 2012 15:04:47

They won't fit with the original caliper, unless it is spaced outwards on an adaptor bracket !

Can't comment on fitting inside 13" wheels (... plenty of room inside my 15").

edit - do you really need grooved and dimpled ventilated discs on a 500kg car ?

Edited by - Stationary M25 Traveller on 16 Feb 2012 15:15:15

Quoting Unclefester: 

...Can this possibly be correct?...

Hmmm - not sure - if you do the simple calcs, yes a 288mm disc should fit - but in reality it's a function of the caliper & wheel combo. No comment on the standard acliper (which one - the old Girling *nono* or new AP..! *rolleyes*)

Mickrick has a set of 278mm under Force Racing 13" splits - and I believe Force put in some effort to ensure they fit - maybe he can comment ;-)

Quoting Q102: 
My 7 has the Caterham supplied 13" Minilite wheels and HiSpec 260x10 disc / Ultralite 4 Economy caliper.

There is no more than 10mm clearance between the widest bit of the caliper and the inside of the wheel.

Excellent news to me - thanks Q102!! - I have a set of the same brakes waiting for me in the UK but I've not got around to measuring up my Minilites - 10mm is loadsaplenty!!

Typo edit 😬

Edited by - Neil66 on 16 Feb 2012 15:35:46

SM25T

I didn't reply as I'm still umming and ahhing about the Hi Specs. I like the look of them and some people have been very happy with them, but....... there's quite a few horror stories floating around about them too - calipers cracking, disks cracking and hopeless customer service if things go wrong.

Also been looking at Wilwoods - which seem to have a much better reputation but seem to have a more limited range of pads available.

Dave

Hi Unclefester,

Are you sure that the car in the pic had standard calipers? I ask because it looks to me like the caliper in the pic has a rigid transfer tube on it. This does not feature on the standard triumph caliper. However it is found on the Princess cast iron 4 pot caliper, which is a direct fit over 245mm Vitesse/GT6 discs. This set up does fit under minilights and gives around 5-10mm clearance. I know as this is what my car had before I went for the Hi-Spec unltralights to save on weight.

Phil