Click here if you are having website access problems ×

oil pressure sender k series

Jason E

could someone tell me if the above is a caterham only part , currently about to uby my second replacement in the last 18 months , first stopped working , this one appears to be leaking oil from the electrical terminal, i realise they are only 40 quidish delivered from caterham , but they look like they cost about a fiver !

want to stick with the caterham dials so dont really want to swap to mechanical gauge

just being tight really

• Area Representative

😬 As no one seems to have answered your original question -

As far as I am aware it is a Caterham part. I'm not aware it can be obtained elsewhere. It seems most problems result from water ingress, so if you do buy a new one, you can prolong it's life by sealing the gap around the electrical terminal using silicon. You can also mount the sender remotely, higher up behind the radiator and out of the way of the spray and muck. To do this, use braided hose and appropriate connectors. Again, Think Automotive can supply.

CC replaced mine under warranty and it lasted about a week. I could get them to fit another, but taking time off to get them to swap it is getting a bit tedious.

(Sorry for the thread hi-jack.) Can someone tell me what I need to replace it? I like the look of the Stack gauges.

In the interest of fairness - didn't a recent thread get deleted for mentioning bad quality items being supplied from other companies *confused*

Blatchat Code of Conduct

When using the clubs websites you agree not to:

4. Name companies or individuals in relation to accusations of malpractice, fraud or other criminal or civil offences. If you have a fault with a product or service provided by a company please speak to them as the club does not wish to become embroiled in disputes and start providing transcripts of threads to solicitors.

Surely we should be discussing this with CC and not on here *wink* 😬

But they are crap, don't waste money on buying any more, get the mechanical option from Think and get a plastic coated braided hose to go with it *thumbup*

Editted to add that I don't think this thread should be deleted (or indeed neither should the one that was)

Edited by - Grubbster on 13 Jan 2012 14:42:33

• Area Representative

Quoting ozzy: 
Extra 2 position switch on dashboard, wired to water temp gauge. Switch one side oil temp, the other water temp.

🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔 🤔Think this is posted on the wrong topic.

well i think unanamous verdict , just liked all the dials to look the same though , will have a a look at the mechanical option though ,

surprised it isnt off something else though as it seemd a generic sort of thing surely caterham wouldnt have specced something as simple as that to be manufactured just for them

the reason this leaked is when fitted the the terminal was on the opposite side , the wire barely reached , it was a stretch but it went on ( I should have packed it with a washher)i think in time it pulled the terminal and broke the seal

I think (the main) part of the problem in the K installation is the susceptibility of the sender to engine vibration. Consider its location: bolted tight to the bottom of the block. CC themselves offered a solution to this (do they still?), in the shape of a remote sender kit, the object being to position the sender in a more favourable environment.

In my K days, I probably got through four or five of these little blighters in a 10-year spell of ownership. I do agree, though, that the best solution is a mechanical gauge. The second best solution would be the remote sender kit (assuming you can still get them).

JV