Click here if you are having website access problems ×

how many fingers?

fred_gustafsson

Advice from Alcester Racing 7s

What I do is use a cut down hex key in a ring ratchet spanner.

Jonathan

PS: The first time I did this I just wanted to check the level, not change the oil. I didn't bother getting the oil tray and mat. I used the type of spanner that reverses the ratchet by turning the spanner over. Great gush of oil from box, fluid was obviously unnecessarily full, just need to tighten the plug... can you see where this is going? Not only could I not tighten the plug because of the ratchet, but I couldn't get the key and spanner out because the plug had now been wound out so close to the panel that there wasn't enough clearance. All I could think of was the

Now I use the type that has a little lever to reverse the ratchet.

I have just had my gearbox overhauled and stupidly didn't remove the filler plug before installing the gearbox back into the car. I was then forced into taking an angle grinder *cry*to a perfectly good right angled allen key, I fettled it to the right length to get it in place missing the transmisson tunnel side wall. Using an extension bar on the end of the ALLEN KEY I just manged to undo the plug... it was bl**dy tight.

I am not sure a hole in the cockpit side wall is possibe as there is a square section strengthener in the way on my K series R300. However, it would make life a lot easier if it was! I learned to my cost it is critrical to keep an eye on the gearbox oil level. ☹️

I've heard that some 7s have a cross-member in the way but don't know which.

Another way is to fill through the top either with the plate off or by using a plate with a filler tube. But I don't know how you'd set the level that way? Dipstick? Cracking open the plug?

Jonathan

Edited by - Jonathan Kay on 18 Dec 2011 18:42:28

A short bit of Hex and a spanner works a treat in normal circumstances... unless a Gorila has done the plug up, as was in my case, then the spanner either bends or slips on the hex bar. Resorting to a fettled Allen key and an extension bar is then the only way.

Good luck, I almost burst my appendix trying to undo the filler plug on my car. *cry*