Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Recommend a cycle speedo?

billyboanerges

Eugene

You need to be careful as some Cateye's only read upto 60mph then it all goes pear shaped. The Strada wired will manage upto 125mph.

Some cyclists must have big thighs (and BOLOX) to manage that even downhill. Suspect even a certain 7 co-owner would struggle too 😬 😬 😬

my sigma cycle computer goes up to 183mph *eek* the car however doesnt.

I've been looking to re-engineer the sensor location on mine from wheel rim to hub. Anyone got some pics or alternate solutions to having a magnet on the F/O/S wheel on each set of rims you own?

Sorry for thread hijack though it might be helpful to you too.

Ian

Quoting Wrightpayne: 
my sigma cycle computer goes up to 183mph *eek* the car however doesnt.

I've been looking to re-engineer the sensor location on mine from wheel rim to hub. Anyone got some pics or alternate solutions to having a magnet on the F/O/S wheel on each set of rims you own?

Sorry for thread hijack though it might be helpful to you too.

Ian

A rare earth magnet from Maplins placed on the hub next to the disc bolts worked fine on mine for at least a couple of years (road use). These magnet's do deteriorate with heat though, so may not be suited if you're heavy on the brakes.

Ian

Yes does MPH, has two selectable odometers (can empty data logs and these keep counting), secondary page useful for larger glancing 'current' and 'sorry officer' peak speed. Speedo works without datalogging.

EZTour log/map software is underpinned by Google Maps and is very good. Backlight 'on time' is set in sub menu so easily set for night driving (i.e. mine set switch selectable off or on full time).

Mine lives on rollcage down near triangle at end of dashboard. Sustained running through high trees is only time I've confused it. Just needs 30 seconds or so stationary to 'cold start'.

Bracket that comes with it is designed to go around a cycle stem or handlebars (hence on cage) but by using half of it can be mounted on dash with a sticky pad (or simply Velcro main unit direct?). I've never felt need to plumb into car 12v.

I'll take some photo's tonight. Drop me an email address.

Not had it apart yet (which is suprising) but expect it's a generic battery inside.

Criticisms.. You won't want it too high up as backlight is very bright. Mini rubber USB cover looks fragile so have to be careful to locate it, but bow waves and Yorkshire monsoons haven't caused a problem. Won't log faster than 1Hz (and no G Sensor) so not accurate enough for sprints. GPSport260 resolves some of these issues but costs double.

David

Yes just GPS. Later 260 model adds possibility of wheel speed sensor but as wireless I doubt it would work and sort of defeats the object of GPS unit. Heart Rate Monitor could be interesting 😬

Idea of size and backlight brightness

http://my.lotussevenclub.com/Portals/14/UltraPhotoGallery/1206/164/large/dash.jpg

Main screen

http://my.lotussevenclub.com/Portals/14/UltraPhotoGallery/1206/164/large/disp.jpg

I'll get some daylight photo's when I next get to see daylight other than office window

Edited by - David Lynch on 3 Nov 2011 22:39:08

Sigma BC1009 is my recommendation - cut the wire and extend its length - fit the magnet with an electrical tie wrap to the output of the diff. Fit the pick up to a small home made bracket and attach to the diff locking tab, run the extended wire along the tunnel, under the dash and mount the Sigma base in centre of dash below and between the oil pres and temp gauge. Remove the semicircular handlebar mount from the base to give a flat rear surface and drill two small holes in top corners of Sigma base and attach to dash with small self tapers. Twist in the computer and a nice neat job is completed. Measure circumference of wheel in mm and put in computer. I zero mine each time I fill with fuel which is every 200 miles.

@David - that's really good to see the Holux in use, especially mounted on the cage like that. I have held off buying one because from the pictures it looked like the supplied handlebar mount wouldn't work on a vertical cage tube, but I guess that's not the case! Unless you had to modify it or persuade it to mount in that orientation?

• 2 months later...

A bit late to this topic due to forum technical issues ! but anyway...

I am pleased with my installation of a cheap Halfords 8 function wired computer. Installation was straight forward with all components 'glued' (read - carefull use of Silkflex221) in situ. The cable need to be extended but this was easy enough and the soldered joints sealed water tight after.

http://my.lotussevenclub.com/Portals/14/UltraPhotoGallery/1206/165/large/DSCN1172.JPG

The magnet is glued to one of the hub/disk bolt heads and the sensor glued to the cast hub carrier.

http://my.lotussevenclub.com/Portals/14/UltraPhotoGallery/1206/165/large/DSCN1174.JPG

http://my.lotussevenclub.com/Portals/14/UltraPhotoGallery/1206/165/large/DSCN1179.JPG

Works for me!

John

Another thumbs up for the Holux 245. Following a previous thread on this subject I purchased one and must say its a bargain.

Does just what it says on the tin and is very reliable. I even use it in my coat pocket whilst walking and it still tracks the satellites ok.

The included software merges seamlessly with Google maps and give good tracking with the ability to interrogate any point of the route in detail giving speed altitude and co-ordinants. Only downside if it can be called this is, as with all GPS units, it will not measure speed instantly, but needs a few seconds to stabilise.

Thoroughly recommended.

Yes as it happens I do have an iPhone and on it I have HUD+ ...

HUD+ ...

as its name suggests it's a Head Up Display speedo / compass which allows you to invert the display and, with the iPhone laying on the dash, reflect the image up onto a suitably raked windscreen (no use in a 7 obviously), but it does display conventionally for normal viewing. So I have the choice of three speed displays... simply total the speeds and divide by 3 to get an average... *confused*

BTW sorry about the huge images on my previous post, but don't complain that you can't figure out my installation.