Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Best trickle charger?

Wight Skipper

I use the following:

CTEK Multi MXS3600 Battery Charger

£44.99

My car had been sat in the garage and wouldn't start when I tried it yesterday. Ten mins with this on it and hey presto, fired in no time. A quick thrash and the battery was fully charged again. I'd certainly recommend it.

CTEK 3600 doubles as a "proper" battery charger (up to 3.6A output) as well as conditioner. Optimate has a maximum charge rate of 0.8A which would take a very long time to charge a flat battery. I also prefer the build quality of the CTEK - you get the impression you could drive over it and it would survive, which is probably not true of the Optimate. Not that I've tried doing that to either.

Powervamp have one that they recommend as being perfect for the charging of their 'gel'/red-top-alike batteries. If you've got a similar battery, probably worth double-checking that the charger you choose is appropriate as the Powervamp literature clearly warns of the dangers of damaging the layers with inappropriate 'boost' charging, for instance.

An Optimate is nice but Halfords will sell you something to do the same job for loose change. Choose between a battery conditioner (12V 0.5A or similar) and a charger. If you have no fault on the car all you need is a conditioner. I haven't needed a battery charger for 20 years, a conditioner would have done it or on rare occasions when the battery dies or you leave the lights on like a numpty a set of jump leads and a ride round the block sorts it.

alex

have a look at hein gericke i believe there is one in Southampton, i brought a optimate a few years ago at a cheaper price than on the high street / accessory shops the also do a variety of chargers and leads

regards

frank