Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Throttle cable problem !?

SLR69

Doing a standing start in my VHPD SLR with throttle bodies with c4,500 revs my throttle cable made a bang and the accelerator pedal became loose. My initial thought was that my throttle cable had broken. However, I found that the cable had come out of the accelerator pedal and also out of the part on the throttle bodies where it hinges around, i.e. grooved part that rotates. Having put the cable back in the groove and onto the pedal the cable is now loose rather than tight and I am at a total loss how to tighten it up. The throttle body seems to have two large springs which seem fine and you can rotate maunually on the right hand side of the throttle body. However the part of the throttle body that hinges that the cable runs through has a smaller spring in the middle of the throttle bodies, that does not appear taught - this part seems to have a tiny hole in it but I am not sure if a spring is supposed to go through this. I am wondering if something has broken but cannot see what or where. Has anyone had this scenario before where the cable hasn't broken but has become loose ? I have a new spare cable and have compared the lengths and they are the same length, so it is not as though the existing cable has stretched.

• 1 month later...

It is two months since I posted this and only had one reply and unfortunately my car is still not fixed.

I have just e-mailed Caterham and DVA in the hope that one of them may be able to assist but thought that I would try again on the forum.

The throttle bodies have a throttle quadrant that pivots in the centre of the throttle bodies where it hinges around, i.e. the grooved part that rotates. Having put the cable back in the groove and onto the pedal, the pedal now has about an inch and a half to to two inches of play before the throttle opens, i.e. you depress the accelerator pedal and there is no resistance for about 1.5-2 inches. Looking at the throttle body end, the throttle quadrant that the cable runs through seems to have to pivot 30-35 degress before it makes contact with the throttle body linkage to open the butterfiles. I thought that I had perhaps stretched the cable so fitted a new one but this has not resolved and I cannot see for the life of my how this is rectified. I have taken some photos and can e-mail these to anyone to have a look at (sorry I am not sure how to attach to this post) if you would drop me a PM which shows where the quadrant is sitting currently and where it appears to need to be, i.e. pressing against the throttle body linkage having pivoted round, so that when you depress the accelerator pedal the butterflies open up.

Alternatively if anyone can e-mail me a photo of their VHPD throttle body linkage/pivot that I am referring to then I might be able to see something that I cannot see on mine at present.

Many thanks

Stuart

Edited by - SLR69 on 3 Aug 2011 22:37:11

If you are really struggling...

Remove the cable and take it to Halfords or any decent bicycle shop. Buy a 'universal' brake (or gear - but brake is more likely) inner cable - choose whichever has the closest nipple design to the TB end of your existing cable.

Also buy a cable-anchor/clamp - you might need to use a bit of imagination on this one - an old cantilever 'Y' cable hook would be ideal as it has a bolt with a hole drilled at 90 degrees to the shaft of the bolt - the cable goes through this and is secured between a pair of washers with a nut.

You can also make cable anchors/clamps yourself - but it can be tricky to drill a hole through the side of a bolt.

ANyway, once you've got your bits and pieces together, cut one end off the universal cable (it will have two different nipples - one at each end) and feed it through from the TBs to the pedal - with the fixed nipple at the TB end. The accelerator pedal will have a hole through it - thread the cable through, secure with the anchor/bolt thing and away you go.

It might be a little tricky to tweak the cable length, but at least you won't be stuck with a double-ended cable and no option for adjustment.

As far as cable anchor/clamp goes, you can make one yourself very easily by removing the brass innards from a standard house wiring block connector. Just use the single tube with two screws on it. Costs less than peanuts and works a treat as you have two screws holding onto the cable, not one. *thumbup*

I have had a look at this and it is bizarre!!

If I might add something to Stuarts description of the fault.

Firstly, this has nothing to do with a bent throttle pedal and nothing to do with a "wrong cable" If you take both away from the equation the real problem remains.

The cable is correctly fitted and adjusted. The throttle pedal is as it came from the factory and undamaged.

The throttle quadrant where the cable is attached at the TB end, clearly rotates to a point where it catches the main bracket /assembly attached to the throttle spindle and opens the butterflies.

At the moment there is a light spring is holding the quadrant in a position relative to the throttle body butterfly spindle about 35 degrees away from contacting the spindle bracket. This means that the pedal needs to rotate the throttle quadrant about 35 degrees round before actually opening the butterflies.

It is as if something has slipped or jumped round. The rest of the attachments appear to be securely mounted and not to have slipped.

Any thoughts would help Stuart as this is not a simple problem and is a real head scratcher!

Greg.

Is there a second point on the quadrant where the nipple on the cable could go (a bit further round)? I think there was on my standard TB on my old engine - it could be that it just needs to be moved around a notch - a photo would help.

Or could the quadrant have slipped round somehow?

Edited by - Grubbster on 6 Aug 2011 18:08:10

...or the cable outer-sheath has slipped, or the quadrant has slipped on the bar that turns the butterflies? Or the TB spring has slipped? Or a grub screw that works as a stop somewhere has fallen out?

Photos of the quadrant and where the cable enters the pedal box would really help...