Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Emerald

Gary Stone

Hi Gary,

I had one fitted at the end of november. Its a K6 but still running on old software. I was told that the software wasnt ready yet and that it would be downloadable later?

Is it now available? I couldnt see anything on the Emerald site?

Regards

Dignity

I had a K6 fitted in October 2010, running on the old software. The car was rolling roaded at the same time and, despite only one major blat since, I am very pleased with the improvement. As has already been said, the new software designed specifically for the K6 will enable even more flexibility. Add to which, Dave Walker is a very good guy and exceptionally helpful.

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

3 *wink* *tongue*

K6 ECU SPEC

Emerald hasn't released the exact details of the new hardware yet. Some features will not be available straight away. The main specification changes are…

x6 ignition drivers (can be configured for direct coil control or external amplifier).

x6 injector drivers

Onboard USB interface (as well as serial & CAN)

Waterproof. Sealed case, sealed USB connector, sealed d-type connectors.

Onboard baro sensor

1-channel/2-channel PWM, unipolar and bipolar stepper motor control.

Onboard memory for datalogging.

Latest generation 80MHz 32-bit PowerPC processor

The dimensions, loom-plug & wiring are the same as the K3. The K3’s +8v output (pin 14) has been sacrificed as it was rarely used. It’s going to take a little while to bring the software up to take advantage of the new features but they’re working on that. New mapping software will be available to upgrade the K3 model also when the K6 software is released shortly.

The first K6 units will be using the K3 software; we will be introducing new software & firmware updates soon.

None of the future updates will require the ECU to be returned – the firmware can be downloaded into the ECU from the PC software.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

The 3-way map switch is a good feature allowing three different map settings. I personally went for the following: -

1. 100 Octane touring mode

2. 100 Octane Competition mode

3. 95 Octane touring mode

Many people have a "Get me through the MOT" mode but my car isn't modern enough to need it 😬

'Have you any idea what it's like to have the wind rushing through your hair!' (Quote:Sq Cdr the Lord Flashheart)

Edited by - Doug on 7 Jan 2011 12:17:33

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone got the details of the necessary modification please? Perhaps I can make a short adapter loom, so I can go back to MEMS if it doesn't work out, or is it more complicated than that?

I'm going to be faced with this problem when my K3 arrives this week.

I've got a 2007 Roadsport 1.6, currently standard 115 BHP.

Any advice from those who've done it would be usefull. *idea*

Making an adapter loom is not so easy as the connectors are not available, once you have cut and modified the loom for the EU2 type connector there is no easy going back.

I have a detailed schematic that shows exactly what has to be done, it generally takes me around 4-5 hours to graft on and test an EU2 connector to the EU3 loom. Mind you I have done around 50.

Oily

Edited by - oilyhands on 2 Feb 2011 07:20:50

There's information on building a plug 'n play adaptor on the Alcester Racing Sevens website here.

For the sake of £120 though, I'd go with the professional option. I've modified looms for people wanging different engines (from the same family) into AXs, 106s and Saxos, but it's only less than 20 wires for the engine loom to chassis loom compared to an EU3 to EU2 Rover converter.

I've just received my Emerald through the post and unpacked it.

It was sold to me as a K3 by a blatchatter, however, it is badged as a M3DK, serial number 41514.

Have I been stupid again, I thought this model was the predecessor to the K3.

I'm getting that sinking feeling. *thumbdown* *confused* *thumbup*

I think you have to have a serial number above 41272 and send it back to Emerald for the update

Easiest way to find out, is to connect it up, and fire up the computer, and see how many map slots there are. However, I think you will find it is the K3.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!