Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Reg plate adhesive

billyboanerges

Same problem for me when mine went to Caterham Midlands. I needed to remove both plates to put new personalised ones on.

Method

Cheap snap off disposable knife. Extend the blade fully and carefully get behind the plate and cut through the 'black stuff' and remove the plate.

Mine had been applied so thickly that the knife never got near the paint.

I carefully cut the majority of the remaing goo off but as I was replacing the plate I used more Sikaflex but this time just the minimum amount, a few blobs.

I am sure if you carefull 'paired' away with the knife you could get it down to the minimum thickness so mild abrasion/friction with a dry cotton cloth would remove the remains.

Edited by - Titanium7 on 23 Sep 2010 12:54:38

Found this on Pistonheads, but I'm not sure it's much help.

I had a similar problem recently. I was fitting personalised plates and found that Caterham had used what appeared to be black RTV sealant front and rear, which was not only difficult to remove, but which had also eaten away the back of the plate and discoloured the registration.

I eventually cut through the RTV, between the plate and fixing point, using a long and very sharp blade - using a sawing motion and angling the blade away from the fixing point. Once I'd removed the plate I trimmed aways as much as I could with a sharp blade, and then set to work on the rest with a Stanley-bladed window scraper. Once as much as possible had been removed Mrs M and I set to work on the rest using Sticky Stuff remover, which is available from the Lakeland catalogue. This took a long time, but it didn't mark either the nosecone or the mounting points on the rear tyre carrier. The whole process was completed over the course of two afternoons, and we were able to remove every last trace.

I've fitted the new plates using No More Nails exterior double-sided tape (the red tape, not the blue) which is specifically suited to number plates. It may sound like overkill, but it's much better than traditional two-sided tape for number plates because it doesn't leave a residue if you have to remove the plate again. It takes a long time to prise the plate off,as the bond is really strong, but once you've done that the remains of the tape can be rolled off using your thumb.

Hope this helps

Edit: The Sticky Stuff Remover that I used was the gel type, not the liquid. It comes with a rubber scraper, and you put the gel on, leave for 10 minutes, then get to work with the scraper. See here for details.

Nick

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it!

Edited by - Mort on 23 Sep 2010 13:24:28

Answer for removing Sikaflex is a printers cleaner known as IPA (not the beer) its expensive and hard to get in small quantities but if you bm me with an address I can send so along with double sided silica tape which will stick the plate on in seconds. You will not need IPA to remove it, just some patients, get it warm (sunshine or hairdryer) and roll it off.

IPA will also remove anything from paint work or glass or tyres, use only in a well ventilated area.

K7 PKT

Objects in the rear view mirror...... should just drive faster

Here's a handy tip, that I stumbled across by accident:-

We have a couple of wheelie bins in the garage, and I found that if you put two next to each other, with the openings facing you and the handles facing away, then cover them with a towel or dust sheet, they become the perfect platform for working on the nose cone. If you place the nose cone on top of the wheelie bins with the number plate facing you you'll find that the back of the nose cone fits nicely in the gap between the bin and the handles. This means that the nose cone is securely held, and at the right height and angle to work on the plate.

Much less controversial than using the kitchen table too! *thumbup*

Nick

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it!

*arrowup* *arrowup* IPA should not be expensive or difficult to get available here

although I am surprised it attacks Sikaflex thats useful to know

this stuff here claims to debond polyurethane caulks and have seen a claim that it will de stick sikaflex, dont know if its available in UK hopefully the Sailors amongst us will know

Tim

CSR 200 Aztec and Black

Edited by - tbird on 24 Sep 2010 11:29:14