Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which mobile phone?

metal mickey

I have an iPhone on Orange, and as much as I find it the best option for my purposes, I'd never say it has "long battery life", which mickey said wasmost important. I drop it into a standup charger almost every night. It'll do two or three days with mild usage, but I like to be safe.

For usable internet browsing I'd only go for a multi-touch screen. That would rule out many of the options.

Martyn

R300GRR

I'm afraid long battery life and email/internet are conflicting requirements, most of the phones that have decent screens for email/internet (ie the iPhone) have terrible battery life if you're used to "just a phone" battery life.

I'm loathe to recommend it but some of the Nokia's seem the best compromise, the iPhone is a great device but battery life is hopeless and it's only going to get worse when they release iphone OS 4.0 with multitasking.

Cheers

Rob G

I don't either, but I am due an upgrade, and am considering my options with very similar requirements to Metal Mickey. I've been contemplating a Blackberry Curve or Nokia E71 basically because they both have a qwerty keypad, have long battery life, and aren't an Iphone (apparently the biggest annoyance with the Iphone is the fact the user keeps knocking the unit onto silent mode when they keep them in their pocket. Oh, and the fact that nearly everyone has one!)

The IPhone user interface is outstanding to view photos and there are a lot of apps, some helpful and some funny.

But honestly I don't care viewing / managing photos on my mobile, watching TV and surfing on the internet for hours, nor playing.

I need to be able

to synchronize it with Outllok (agenda, contacts, tasks)

to phone, including in my car using the Bluetooth connexion

to read / write emails with my big [sometimes oily when under my Caterham] fingers

to check something on the internet.

Plus I find the virtual keyboard not as pratical as the real keyboard like those on a Blackberry or a Nokia E71.

As a result I have a E71 and very happy with it, but I'm sure a Blackberry would do the job

Realistically with the iPhone, you need to charge it every night + occasional extra boost in the day if you're using it alot. If you can build that into your routine, it's a top gadget. It's other biggest weakness is that it's not waterproof, as I found to my cost when I dropped it in a bucket.

Also, the browser does not support flash which occasionally limits the browsing experience. Another gripe is that you can't do online banking with lloyds. It won't work with a 3G connection, and sometimes works with a wifi connection.

-----

Team Lotus 7 Club Blatchatters in the 3 peaks hike and bike challenge here