Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Track day wheels

IanW

• Area Representative

Hi,

Time for a question about which wheels to use for my first track day.

I don't really want to use my CR500s on the track, so I need some replacement wheels (and tyres). I am trying to source some replacements for the 15" anthracites from Caterham. Are these from Halfords suitable? If not, where else should I be looking?

Regards, Ian.

Not my cuppa tea..

Try contacting Polley motorsport for a set of minilights and decent tyres. The website is here

Also search the for sale sections and also cosider going to 13inch wheels as there are lots more tyre choices available.

Jonathan

My Flickr

-----------------------------------

The rebuild has started :)

92 Supersprint, Ford LSD LA, RK AX Crossflow.

Edited by - jonboylaw on 16 Mar 2010 16:18:10

• Area Representative

Ian,

if you're looking for another set of wheels, then you need to specify the stud PCD (which should be 108mm for a dedion car), and the offset.

Caterham 6.5"x15" ten spokes are, I think ET13. Most aftermarket wheels for modern FWD cars tend to be more inset (ie, have an ET value greater that ET13), and may need spacers (and maybe longer studs) to give adequate clearance.

Why do you want a set of 15" wheels? There is not much tyre choice in 15" suitable for track days other than CR500's.

If you're going to buy another set of wheels for track days, you'd be better off buying a set of 13" wheels, and running something like Yoko A048R's, or Toyo R888's in 185/60-13 all around. These are great track tyres, and about the same overall diameter as your 195/45-15 CR500's.

Bear in mind that most cheapo boy racer alloys are made down to a price. They're heavy and usually pretty soft, designed to be mounted on cars where it won't make much difference. It pays to seek out lightweight wheels.

Martyn

R300GRR happy in Dartford until the Thursday after passing IVA retest!!!

• Area Representative

Thanks for the replies.

Jon: I'll try Polleysport to see what they have available.

Richard: Bl**dy Acronyms! Bane of my life 😔. PCD I guess is the diameter between the stud holes. As for ET13 I have no idea *confused*.

Next question: Assuming I go for 13" wheels, what widths should I be looking for? I see references to 6, 6.5 and 8 inches but I don't know what I need or what will fit the car?

I'm constantly plagued by too much choice when trying to make buying decisions *eek*.

Regards, Ian.

• Area Representative

Ian

For trackdays I would recommend you use 13" wheels. Your best bet is to buy a set of used wheels that come up for sale on here, the Westfield forum, here or Pistonheads here or Ebay here

Your car will need wheels with the 4 108mm pitch circle diameter stud spacing that has been mentioned and must have offsets of +23mm for 6" wide wheels and +18mm for 7" wheels although and this is usually marked on the rim with ET and then the number. Other offsets will probably fit though.

If your car is less than 140ish BHP then 6" wheels all round will probably work well, if your have more power then 7" or 8" will be OK but it really depends on personal choice, and larger Carlos Fandango wheels do look good *cool*

Nick

Lava Orange Caterham Blackbird *cool*

• Area Representative

So for a Roadsport 175 SV, I'll be looking for 7 or 8 inch wheels.

With regards the ET. How do I measure the minimum and maximum values I'm allowed? Does the size of the tyre have much influence on the results?

Regards, Ian.

• Area Representative

Hi Simon,

I'm in Farnborough. Please let me know when I can pop round.

Regards, Ian.

Hi

Just to say that the offset is Very important. I have 3 sets of wheels with offsets of 13mm, 18mm and 24mm - all are very different and have a great effect on steering weight. I like the 24mm ones best - that is the standard offset on Caterham 6" x 13" alloys as far as i am aware.

Don't worry about going too wide with things. Narrower is more progressive on the limit (so more fun near the limit). I have 220bhp in a fairly extreme car and am happy with 7" rims with slicks in the dry and 6" rims with Yoko A021 in the wet. Same width front and rear - the car balances better.

If you are new to trackdays - go for the cheap option of some used Caterham 6 x 13 alloys and put your tyres of choice on them for a play (used slicks are the bargain fun option). If you want to go wider later.. you can still use the 6 x 13 s in the wet with a set of A021 and use the new wider rims with the slicks.

Works for me. Have fun

One of the Duratectives

Alternatively, if you're on a really tight budget...Peugeot 305 rims fit and work.

I put a pair of old T1Rs on a set for a trackday, intending to use them for hooning. Ended up loving the way the R888s on my "good" rims felt, so scrubbed them off instead.

I have a set of steel 8spoke wellers which I've just had blasted/coated and am for using for a trackday set.

Willie

My vote goes to Compotitive CXR. You can get them in many shades of grey as I recall. I went with 13" and Yokos A048 combination (185/F and 205/R). The guys over there will do any offset you specify. And the quality is great. *thumbup*

• 2 months later...

Somehow missed this thread when it was current. I am looking for track wheels also.

I am about to buy some new wheels having failed to find what I want secondhand and will probably splurge on the 13X6" black minilites with polished rim that CC do. Tyres will be AO48/888.

Front tyre will be 185/60. Rear can be the same or 205/60 .. neither will upset the corner weighting.

The car is a standard R400 SV (210bhp). Is 185 on the rear too little or should I stick with a 205?

==================================

R400SV in orange - so far unmodified!

Crikey - quite expenssive for a track solution, especially as teh polished rim will start lifting in a couple of years.

IMHO, the 8-inch rears give better track handling - even on a 120bhp car.

If you are interested, I have 2 sets of the CC 8-spokes in 6/8-inch in black.

They will look fantastic on an orange car.

I am currently 7-less, so need to clear down some of my 'spares'...

Cheers - Simon