Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 sequential

Trev G

Looking to do a bit of work on the R500 over the winter before next seasons hillclimb / sprinting starts again.I've got the engine booked in to DVA for a 1900 Scholar upgrade and intending fitting the new Quaife box.Just a few questions to ask some of the more knowledgeable guys on here.

1) Straight cut or helical (not worried about noise as car is for competition use only)

2) Long or short input shaft

3) Ratios? Hoping to get round about 250 bhp from rebuild so would I go for the same ratios as the new R500?

4) Funds permitting also hoping to fit flatshift with paddles.Does anyone have a preference on which to go for and how hard is it to fit using the MBE ecu?

Any advice appreciated.

Trev

1. Straight cut for power transfer. Semi helical for a compromise.

2. What ever you need to fit your crank.

3. What diff do you have? Is it the same ratio as a new R500?

Before you go all out on power, I assume the suspension is sorted? and you are able to get what you have already down effectively? From what I have read on here, people with decent suspension set up (such as Nitrons) have found it makes a big difference.

Only dead fish go with the flow....!

• Area Representative
intending fitting the new Quaife box

Have you considered any other options?

Maybe one of these here, As used by Simon Rogers in our own speed championship, with paddle gear change.

It's designed as a racing gearbox, with a vast array of ratios, and drop gears available.

Richard Homer ( vastly experienced hillclimber, and club member) is now working at Elite. I'm sure he could answer all your questions. Contact Richard at :-Richard@eliteracingtransmissions.com

Edited by - Richard Price on 3 Nov 2009 16:22:59

Thanks for the replies guys.The diff is a 3.92 Cagey same as the new 500.I alreay have Nitrons fitted and feel that I'm losing out on the straights to the more powerful cars in my class ( over 1700 cc ) .I think I saw Mog Racing selling the diff bracing which would be on the jobs to do list , thanks.I did look at the Elite Richard but having fitted a carbon prop last year swayed me towards the Quaife which with the different prop would probably come in round about the same weight.

• Area Representative

I would have said that the biggest advantage of a gearbox like the Elite, is that you have the flexibility to choose exactly the gear ratios that you want.

Because it has indipendent gear pairs cassette, If you find that you'd like, say first to be a little shorter, and third a little taller, then just those ratios can be changed without altering the the other gears.

Mike, I have to contact Sadev re, ratio's, as I'm also thinking about this box. It may let me get my motor an inch or so lower than if I go with the Drenth box.

But in the meantime, is there any info about it on t'interweb? I can't find anything about it on their site.

Mickrick, I can't find it either, and thats strange because it was on their site.

I do have a quote and basic tech spec without ratios on a mail from Sadev which I can forward to you if you like.

Just blatmail me to confirm your mail address.

7 wonders, I now have this in my car.

Mike.

Thanks for all the feedback guys . Starting to wonder whether the Quaife is the best option.I seem to recall Mike that youve used Quaifes in the past and would be interested on your reasons for changing.The Elite does look like very good value for money but to be honest I cant see me taking advantage of the drop gear facility .Can anyone confirm if I can use the same prop from the 6 speed on the Quaife and is the MBE967 any good for the Geartronics flatshift ? Also is it standard practice to use the standard clutch? Cheers.

Trev

I have posted about my Elite and paddle shift many many time before on this forum. Do a quick search and I'm sure you'll find more than enough to read *eek*

If you still want more info blatmail me.

5yrs and not a single problem. Refreshed once and it actually did not need it. I may be about to change all the gears in mine for new ratio's. I have to do something as everyone else is catching up 😔

Management Team Member

If in doubt.......Flat out!

In my S3 chassis the CTG prop (very which is similar in dimension to the standard Caterham prop) fits fine with the Quaife sequential (in fact the only mod required was to the nose of the diff). I believe that the newer G60 seq box is the same so you should be fine with your prop. *thumbup*

I have had no problem using the Geartronics flatshift with MBE 967 because the flatshift simply interrupts the ign supply and is separate from the ecu. IMO it is a fantastic piece of kit. *cool*

You need to speak to Neil Wallace at Geartronics if you want more information about either the flatshift or the paddle shift systems that he now supplies.

Good luck & please let us know how you get on. *smile*

L7 FUN

Thanks Simon , I actually watched all your videos this time last year when I was thinking about making the change.Having watched them again yesterday (very impressive by the way) makes me more determined to fit a sequential for next year be it an Elite , Quaife or whatever.Theres going to be quite a few changes to what were allowed to race with next year, and wanting to stay in the road car class I feel with the Quaife being fitted in the new R500 might make my car more eligible, but I could be wrong.Thanks also to Paul. I've been trying to get a hold of Steve at SBD about the MBE but keep missing him.Will also give Geartronics a phone on Monday.Cheers.

Trev *thumbup*

MBE does have an inbuilt flat shift but you'll need access to the software to set the parameters.

Without going into detail my one note of caution to anyone looking at paddle shift on a Car type gearbox is to check the force required to actually pull the gear.

Also my system is "electric" when I pull the triger ignition cuts at that point and actuates at that point. I would now choose a system which is "electronic". ie pull trigger cut ignition with slight delay before actuation.

But in any case the inside of my box is like new because I use the clutch.

Simon

• 2 weeks later...