Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Build Cycle Wing Position

Titanium7

Our friends at CC have supplied the front cycle wings for my kit with no drill position markings on for the stainless bolts.

Can someone give me the measurement from the front of the wing back to where the front bolts are positioned?

I'm not certain, but it might help to post what size your wheels are and therefore what size stays & wings you have & are they are CF or glassfibre - just in case they differ and it matters *thumbup*.... If they are all the same i'll shut up *redface*

You may want to consider sticking the wings on with Sikaflex rather than drilling if you prefer the neat uncluttered look. Or you could sikaflex bolts under the wing and screw these on for the same type of look. Just a thought.

Neil

• Area Representative

Titanium,

my assembly guide says 65mm (close to DaveJ's 63mm *tongue* *wink*)

I'd also say say to stick them on with Sikaflex, or a similar polyurethane sealant.

I stuck mine on seven years ago, and despite smacking various cones on track, I've not managed to rip them off yet!

If you drill the wings, that is where the cracks will start from!

Make sure the leading edge is in line or in front of the leading edge of the rim (not the tyre, if you see what I mean...). Am I right in understanding that's the criteria for the SVA/IVA? Or has that changed?

John

Bugsy: '82 2cv6 (Back on the road!!! 😬)

Talloulah: '08 1.6K Classic (Grubby )

• Area Representative

John

I think you're right - it is an SVA/IVA requirement that the wing extends further than the wheel. This will mean further forward on a 16 inch wheel compared to a 13 inch.

Paul Richards

Area Representative - L.A.D.S. (Lancashire and District Sevens)

LADS Website

Growing old is compulsory - Growing up is optional

Thanks everyone.

Have found the section in the IVA manual (web draft copy) and it refers to the front edge of the cycle wing must not be less than 30 degrees measured from the centre of the wheel, (1 o'clock in effect).

Will ponder on the various methods of attachment, Bigheads + cable ties, bonding or the bolts. Everbody seems to have their own opinions, and there does not seem to be a agreed preference overall.

Bigheads give you the ability to easily remove and replace, or to make some sideways changes to the position if you change to different wheels/tyres. Mine are stuck on with Sikaflex 292 - have been for 5 years and no sign of movement at all - it is expensive, but the right stuff *thumbup* If anything i am more concerned about the bigheads themselves failing one day, not the bonding.