Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R400 Duratec very fast idle?

Andy Green

Drove the car to the SVA a few weeks ago and did not notice anu problems with the car.

Now car is registered I went to Millwoods today for the post build check.

On the drive home I noticed the idle was around 2500 sometimes 3000. Sitting at light for a minute or so dropped down to 1800 but not every time.

When I got home left engine to idle for several minutes whilst I checked under bonnet. Engined stayed at well over 2000 and was slowly hunting. Checked all connections to engine. Left engine for a couple of hours. Started it again and idled at 1800 again slowly hunting with the engine revs slowley increasing as the engine warned.

Cable was fine and throttle opened and shut fully.

What might Millwood have disterbed or broken to cause this.

It is a R400 Duratec - totally standard with 200 miles in an SV body.

Any suggestions? - was really hoping to get out and enjoy the car this weekend but the high idle does not help. Also seemed to cause soem kangerooing - but then maybe I just not a good driver!

Edited by - andy green on 22 May 2009 21:33:49

Andy

The R400D idle speed factory setting is quite high - about 1500 I think. Not sure this is your problem but you can reduce idle speed by adjusting the throttle stop. The downside is that the engine will stall when cold for about the first 60 secs of run time when off the throttle. The upside is lower idle - 1000 or so, and less chance of overheating when stuck in traffic on a hot day.

Angus

I had exactly the same problem with my Duratec R400 and adjusted the throttle stop as Angus suggested, it now sits happily at around 1100-1200 (it doesn't register anything under 1300), starts and stays running without problems it does sound a little lumpy but is sorts itself out after a minute or so of running.

Thanks for all the suggestions - and to the blatmailer !

I adjusted the idle position screw. Also put a longer bolt in the throttle pedal end stop so that cable will not go slack even with foot under pedal and adjusted cable length by turning the square connector where it connects to the manifold.

Went for a short run and after 40 odd miles all seems Ok - so fingers crossed

Caterham suggested that the next thing to check was the position detector on the throttle.

Thanks again.

• 1 year later...
Idle adjust screw is under the cable quadrant. Remember the TPS can be upset if the car has been started with your foot on the accelerator. Try resetting the TPS by switching the ignition on and off several times. If you do adjust the throttle stop reset the the TPS by the same method.