Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ticking noise from rear wheel once per wheel rotation

Shaun_E

• Support Team

Car makes a tick/click sound from rear drivers side wheel once per wheel revolution. My first guess would be a stone stuck in the tyre (they are soft Kumhos) but I have checked and can't find one. With the car jacked up and wheel turned by hand there is no sound.

Any other thoughts as to what I should be looking for?

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

When mine did this, it turned out to be the spiral metal sheath of the handbrake cable. Or not, but the noise stopped after I added one cable tie to secure that cable to the A-arm on the left side.

*smile* Sean

Edited by - BBL on 20 Apr 2009 18:49:55

I had something similar once, it was a driveshaft UJ. Went quiet when car was jacked up and the suspension was on full droop.

Could only hear it if you were pushing the car back into a garage after a blat and the grease in the UJ had warmed up.

Pete.

• Support Team

It was indeed the balance weight. I normally tell the fitters not to put them on the very inside of the wheel but this time I must have forgotten. Now had the wheels rebalanced with the weights in the right place and all is fine.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Shaun

Yellow SL *cool* #32 - member of Drowned Rat Racing

Not the first time i have heard balance weights coming adrift. To be on the safe side i use what we call speed tape (Aluminium tape) stuck over the weights. If its good enough for aircraft flying at 500 mph it's sure good enough for balance weights on our little cars.

Gordon.

Everything in our favour is dead against us.