Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R500 Duratec Engine Pictures added

nigelpugh

Drool....

I've been wondering about that filter backplate. It's a very effective way of getting long trumpets under the filter and keeping a decent airgap across the top. Otherwise you start getting into the realms of silly-depth sausage filters.

It seems there are two types on the CC site - a roller barrel and non-roller barrel one. I wonder if the non-roller barrel one would fit a set of Jenveys *confused*

Has anyone tried longer filters than 90mm on a Duratec yet? I was wondering if it would be likely to yield any increase in mid-range torque..

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Darren - you mean longer trumpets rather than longer filters? Ammo changed the air filter on my engine until there was no difference between running open and with the filter. This was not the case with my original one!

As for trumpets, you can spend as long as you like on this. For every change of cam or timing we've gone through many different trumpets with marked differences in the torque curve - useful for chasing that headline peak 312bhp, but in reality worth sacrificing some peak power for mid range in my view - though I'll always miss that 225lbft from my old 2.5 engine!

Sorry Danny, I meant longer trumpets..

Yup, gaining mid range torque at the expense of top end power was what I had in mind. That's what slightly longer trumpets generally gives you isn't it? (just checking I'd not mis-remembered) Sorry for going off-topic by the way Nigel *redface*

The Raceline parts are definitely Titan, including the new dry sump (that's seriously shallow isn't it!) so I'm guessing it's the same. I'm not entirely sure but I think Raceline are building some of the R500 engines for Caterham.

I liked the use of the Snap-On screwdriver to hold the roller barrels open BTW *smile*

Darren E

K80RUM Website and Emerald maps library

Superlight R #54

Darren,

I am not sure about raceline building the engines.

I know for a fact that my own engine was built by the number one engine builder at CC in Dartford.

He recently had an accident, and broke his leg meaning he was off work for some time.

During that time Caterham outsourced engine builds to a company in Lincolnshire, but I cant remember the name of them.

Nige.

Nigel

R500 CP - New 2008 Duratec R500

Nigel,

I know it's much to ask, but could I ask you to take a couple of pictures of the dry sump tank? And also measure its dimensions? I would love to have one made up for my K-series, but the in- and outlets are on the wrong side.

Also there is a plate inside which is supposed to de-air I presume. How far from the top is it? And a guess about the hole?

(Yes, I am difficult!)

/regin

Ref the oil tank, I understand it is a variation on the front mounted Brise tank originally designed by Mick Attree and which has been redesigned to suit the present chassis type. I am also reliably informed that CC are now beginning to fit the Raceline dry sumps which are just starting to come through. They have been a long time in gestation but I understand are very easy to fit. *thumbup*

The side mounted filter is mounted on a plate which I believe Raceline originally designed for their conversions although I don't know if they are supplying the one CC currently fits. I had one of these on my Duratec 7 and I recall Peter McEwen telling me he designed it especially for 7 installations in order to keep the filter out of the way of nasty road detritus etc.

Brent

(aka Arfur Nayo)

Finally had a chance to look at these photos, I could be wrong but I that bell housing looks very different to the Raceline one that I'm using.

It would be interesting to see what the bottom of the bell housing vs bottom of sump looks like as on mine the bell housing is about 1.5"'s lower than the bottom of the Pace dry sump pan.

Oh and I've got a very similar looking filter mounting plate which came from Mick Atree *thumbup*

Rob G

www.SpeedySeven.com

Edited by - rgrigsby on 26 Sep 2008 09:53:46