Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Servicing the car myself...

CageyH

I am coming up to do a service onm the car soon.

The question is, which oil is best?

It's a mildly tuned 1.8 k series.

Mostly road use...

I was thinking of a 5w40. Would this be right?

What is the best brand to use?

The chassis plate recommends a Comma oil, but is this any good?

I'll also use a genuine MG/Rover filter, or are there any better?

1.8 DVA'd SuperSpurt still on L Plates

Oil - 5w40 fully synth used to be recommended and will be fine.

Now CC recommend a 5w50 for the K and Duratec engines, also available at halfords (own brand)/ local motor factor as Comma. Halfords is chapest if bought on the club discount scheme and on a bogof offer, otherwise Comma from your local stockist. you should be aiming for no more than £16 - 18 for 5 litres.

Filter number is GFE280 or MG-rover original part LPW100180. Aim for £3.00 inc vat.

Mobil 1 is supposed to be very good (if not the best *confused*), Matt Lewis Motorsport 01922-692424 has just started up and sells both 15w50 and 0w40 Mobil 1. He sells at a very good price too, at the moment its cheaper than Opie! I am local to him so dont even pay delivery. I will be using Mobil 1 for a while now as I stocked up from Matt Lewis. I have been using Comma, sorry Halfords 5w50 on a BOGOF but will keep this to one side for when I do my first trackday and need the protection when the oil is hotter.

BRG and Yellow nose VU06 XZX

Have been using Silkoleen Pro S 5-40 on my R300 engine for the last 5 years and it has been very good.

Used on the advice of Opie oils, who I bulk buy the oil from.

Used to use Mobil 1 in my old xflow. Opie Oils give a good service give them a call, but if you do a search on here, there was an oil thread which lasted for pages and pages a couple of years ago *cool*

Hibster, you are new here so here's my advice. Do an oil change and use either Mobil 1, comma semi/fully synth, Halfords or Silkolene Pro-S in 5W40 or Ow40. Any and all of these will work for the next year. Then when you have a free evening, do a search for "best oil" until you find a HUUUUGE thread that ran for weeks a couple of years ago. Make fresh coffee, and sit down in a quiet room with a notepad. Off you go, you now know more than the rest of us. You can then choose your next oil, and the fact that you will have used another brand for a few thousand miles will make SFA difference to performance or engine wear. *smile*

😬

I always chickle when someone says - "Ive used xxx oil for 20 000 miles and its been very good "

🤔 what makes it "good" ? - have you stripped the engine and measured wear ? or is it simply that the engine has been faultless - just as its supposed to be when originally fitted in a Rover 418 and doing 15,000 miles per year on "std" rover oil....

for what its worth - Halfords synth 5w40 is cheap, available and is has a sufficient specification (tested and declared on pack)for our use in almost all K series and duratec.

here is C7 TOP

Taffia rear gunner

What makes it good, well coming higly recommended from a company that deals in oils, rather a company who happens to have a commercial tie up with an oil company and sponsorship.

Also maintaining good oil pressure whilst being used on trackdays, and at a good price.

And my engine not yet blowing up (Kiss of death) unlike yours Dave *cool*