Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fixingcycle wings- area testing???

RiF

A good meeting and lots of enthuiasm to break my wings 😬. Seems the spoon and fork that was used to protect the wing from the crow bar came off the worse *confused* Was quiet amazed at how much force you can apply and that the cable tie can be broken before the adhesive goes *wink*

Tyrone has taken the wing home to continue the testing.

I am getting some more Bigheads and shall also do a bit more testing. We will let you know *wink*

Trying to produce a kit with everything you need in it (bighead, 2 sizes of cable ties for fit to glue/final fit, course paper to rub down, glue, instructions, a reinforcing patch if needed)

Thanks NE7. Hope to visit you again *wavey*

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

I missed out on the BB for the Bighead 'Tyrap' bases. I called Bighead direct and they advised that the minimum order quantity was £50, so I asked if they had stockists because I didn't want that many. The lady asked if I had a kit car, yes I said (without getting into a long debate *wink*) so she said we get special dispensation to buy as few as we need! So, I've ordered 10 at £1.30 each plus normal postage costs. *thumbup*

Slight hijack....There's no way Sikaflex will let go if you've cleaned the area to be bonded, properly. (I use acetone) I work in the yachting industry, and I've seen boats built with it! (It's the only thing that keeps Sunseekers together! I should know, I used to work for them. *redface*) You wold have to break the wing to get it off, if it's been applied properly.

You can also get it in small tubes. *wink*

If all around you say it can't be done, all the more reason to do it!

There seems little doubt that Sikaflex works, however, what do you do if you need to take the cycle wing off. I know it doesn't happen that often, but once in a while access to the suspension or brakes would be easier without the wing in the way. With this method the wing is off and on in seconds. Hands up if you have struggled for an hour to get a bolted wing off.

NE Area Rep

Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,

We'll keep the red flag flying here

Results of my unscheduled testing (when someone reversed into me):

* (fibreglass) wing folded about half way back

* both legs of the wingstay bent about 2" backwards

* one tie-wrap snapped

* one Bighead bent - the buckle part

* no sign of failure of the glassfibre I bonded the Bigheads with

Temporary repair consisted of bending and belting the wingstay back into position, bending the Bighead back into shape and fitting new tie-wraps *thumbup*

The wing had been on for three years / 25k miles.

Edited by - Tony Whitley on 2 Feb 2008 13:45:18

If you have used Sikaflex to bond your wings on, you can remove them by cutting the sikaflex witha craft knife.

Mickrick the only failure that I have seen when Sikaflex has been used to bond wings on is were the powder coating on the wingstays has been left on and corrsion has got behind the coating and the adhesive. I always remove the powder coating and degrease before bonding and have never had a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tested RiF's preferred method of fixing and cannot get it to fail. In all instances it is the cable tie which fails. My own wings are now fitted in a similar manner using 8 Bighead cable tie fasteners and the 2 part adhesive RiF uses for bonding carbon fibre elements together. The hardest part of the install is setting up your wings in the right place. Not quite measure twice cut once, but line everything up, a long straight edge and masking tape helps. I'm sorry, I did plan to take some photographs but it's hard to hold a camera and two wings at the same time.

NE Area Rep

Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,

We'll keep the red flag flying here

Mickrick,

When you say prep is everything exactly what do you do?...I've got a freshly powdercoated pair of wingstays and some new wings. Some say remove the powdercoating but I can't see why if they are new. I've recently cut my old wings off and I was amazed at how well they black adhesive held them on. There's no way they could have failed.

Tips appreciated...

Abrade the powder coating lightly to give a matt finish also abrade the underside of the wing to give same, clean with acetone to remove all traces grease and dust Apply your chosen poison to both surfaces and bring to-gether. Using a pair latex gloves or similar smooth out the sealant either side of wing stay forcing it into joint and removing all air pockets.

I can lift the front of my car [engine out] with my front wings and they've been stuck on there for 5 yrs since i removed the bolts.

I used a Den Braven adhesive similar to Sikaflex I also agree with Mickrick..... Sealine use Sikaflex to glue boats together It works.

jj

N.I. L7C AR 🙆🏻

Membership No.3927.

I am just about to fix my wings with Bighead fasteners and Sikaflex 221. I thought I'd bought the stuff that I'd seen someone else use with success. *eek* Other than this all I have available is some Henkel Terostat 9220, what about that? *idea* It looks although it has the same sort of properties ie good adhesion, flexibility and resistance to salt. I was going to use the same method as I read above, fasten bigheads to stays then plonk on the wing. I also considered using some luggage straps to tie round the wing & wheel to hold them in place. You can always count me in on the trial if you can give me an idea if I'm on the right track! *confused*

keepin left

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...