Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fixingcycle wings- area testing???

RiF

So frequently there are postings about how to fix cycle wings and what works, how long for, etc. As you know there has been a bulk buy of Bighead fixings (well done Phil) but there are many more questions still unanswered on how best to glue them on.

I think everyone that has used the Bigheads with cable ties thinks it works well but the main questions are on how best to attach them to a wing for the long term.

I have been thinking using our extensive knowledge on adhesives (some we manufacture) whether we can improve on the different methods used so far.

What I am after is a local L7C group to have a bit of fun testing some of my ideas to destruction plus playing around with the various methods to see which is preferred.

No free samples for your cars but total reject wings supplied with Bigheads and several glues plus possible ways to add a patch of reinforcement over the Bighead. You then use what ever means you think of to replicate the life of a wing (accelerated testing in the pub car park *wink*). If someone wants to try other adhesives I don't have a problem.

The main aim is to have a recommmended system for attaching cycle wings (without bolts *wink*). If our products are the best, great, but if they are not I don't care (except pride *wink*). I am seriously concerned on wings coming off and although there will be no guaranteed system I think we can make it better. Although better for business if they come off, after stuggling to make good wings I will cry if any get damaged now 😬

Speaking to our BB man, I gather it will be a couple of weeks wait for the Bigheads so plenty of time for added imput for me to think around.

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

Sounds fun but I think the answers are probably well documented already. For me Sikaflex 292 - if it holds bits of yachts together then it must be pretty tough, my bigheads have been on for about 3 years now and still no sign of any movement - shame you can't buy it in small tubes though. Preparation of the components is also key (no pun intended 😬)

Anyway, the experiment sounds fun, I'll enjoy reading up on the results *thumbup*, I hope nobody gets injured by a flying wing *eek*

From the feedback I keep getting is that although Sikaflex is widely used there are still failures. This could be down to preparation as preparation will be the most important factor. I am sure we can improve on the installation, whether it is simply writing good instructions or by using different adhesive or adding reinforcements.

RiF Driving one of the first Duratec 7, and building CA07BON for Henrietta 😬 😬 😬.for pictures of 7 and carbon andCA07BON

RiF

(Slight thread hijack)....

What about incorporating the BigHeads into the carbonfibre layers as the wing is manufactured ? That would avoid the need for glues completely. (Or have I the wrong idea about how carbon fibre is manufactured).

Regarding your testing proposal, Surrey area has a reasonably large membership - perhaps one of the area leadership team will be along to comment on your proposal.

Steve - where are you .....

Angus

Incorporating the bighead into the wing would be good - but I doubt the manufacturing tolerences of the wing stays are good enough to make sure the wings end up in the right place. I did write some very detailed instructions on fitting bigheads ages ago (involves attaching the bigheads to the stays, then glueing the wings to the bigheads while in situ, this means you can position the wings perfectly). I think some of the failures are down to poor prep (need to clean and abrade the bighead and wing), or using the wrong adhesive (Sikaflex 291 for instance is no use at all).

I'm in Gosport if that helps at all, happy also to dig out the instructions I wrote before if anyone wants them.

Incorporate the bigheads into the wing as suggested - they do all sorts of versions just for that purpose -the tye-wraps should allow for production tolerances in the wing and the stays.

Or use the studded ones embedded in the wing and attach to the stay using plastic, or rubber lined metal, P-clips - that should allow some tolerance in positioning, plus a bit of give.

I've found that their own glue is pretty fantastic - used it and studded big heads to hold a GRP front bumper on my integrale - held the car up when I proved it wouldn't fit over a standard car ramp.

Personally, I'm sticking, on the seven, with my tried and tested method . . stainless socket button head screws . . . 😬

Bri

Clearly there is more than one way to skin a cat and each method has probably worked for some and failed for others; however, IMHO what Richard is proposing is a step in the right direction. *thumbup* Offering a fixing method/kit that has a proven track record and will give a high degree of confidence to enthusiast of differing skill levels.

I don’t think one can totally design-out possible mechanical failures such as blade-runner has highlighted. QC problems are a fact of life in engineering. It’s just a bugger when it’s your wing bouncing down the road. *cry* *cry* *cry*

SummerLightningHaze

The reason moulding Bigheads in, is not done, is that as the carbon is very thin, you will see a pattern of the Bighead on the main surface of the wing and I don't think anyone will like that. Would be pleased to have any instructions available as the more information we can all use the easier it will be to try and get the ideal method to suit everyone.

Richard,

I think I speak for the whole NE7 clan by volunteering our services on the strength of proximity to you and our inherent ability to test to destruction. 😬 Email me if we can help.

NE Area Rep

Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,

We'll keep the red flag flying here

The reason moulding Bigheads in, is not done, is that as the carbon is very thin, you will see a pattern of the Bighead on the main surface of the wing and I don't think anyone will like that.

Indeed, any new design would need to avoid that. How about if the existing CF thickness is maintained, but additional CF applied during manufacture sufficient to retain the Big Heads ? That would maintain the existing thickness so surface distortion or transparency avoided. Would that work ?

Angus

Mr N.E. Area Rep *wink* sound good to me. Will let you know as soon as I have the parts, could also give me an excuse to come to one of your meetings 😬

Angus, any reinforcement moulded in would also show on the surface, unfortunately. The only way is to bond on later.

You wouldn't be able to mould them into the wing anyway - no 2 pairs of wingstays are the exactly the same (IMO) so the bigheads would never be in quite the right position - or you'd have to bend the wingstays around until the wing looks like it is in the right place

Thought is to have a group play around fixing them on to a wing without instructions *wink* (for ideas) and bring some already assembled along to break off with a bar 😬 From those results you can be the guinea pig and we can all blame the NE lads if they come off 😬 When is your next monthly meet?

• 2 weeks later...

Richard, I've just posted a reminder for this month's meeting on Chitchat. The venue is:

Church Mouse Vintage Inn, Innkeeper's Lodge Durham North, Great North Road, Chester Moor, Chester-le-Street, Durham,

DH2 3RJ

If you have trouble locating it give me a call on Wednesday. *thumbup*

NE Area Rep

If you bond bighead stud type fixings to the wing won't you have trouble fitting the wing to the stay.

The stays are approx 90 degrees apart so unless you have some flex in the fittings the wing would only fit to one side of the stay, the other two studs would foul the stay before aligning with its fixing holes. You could fit the studs to the stays and then bond the wing on but then you would make it very difficult to remove without bending something.

It was for this reason that I bonded aluminium channels across the inside of the wing, one stay drops into its channel the wing can then be rotated on to the other channel before fitting clamp bolts through both sides of the channel and stay. It also makes it very easy to remove/replace.

The bighead fasteners I saw last night are not studs. They are more like a buckle which allows a cable tie (or two cable ties) to be fed through and draw down against the wingstay. The initial tests carried out by the NE7's intended to test the pull off strngth of the fastener and various types of adhesive. Our initial conclusion is that the point of failure will be the cable tie and not any of RiF's proposed methods of attachment. The choice the buyer has is to use the big head fasteners, recommended adhesive and cable ties which will allow easy removal of the wings when required or to bond the wings permanently or to bolt through. From my assessment last night I will be using the big heads and cable ties. RiF has stressed the importance of preparation in his usual meticulous manner.

Once again, thanks for coming to see us last night Richard. All the guys who had not met you before were very impressed in the obvious care and pride you take in your products. *thumbup*

NE Area Rep