Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cleaning seat belts

Anton

Not very helpful in answering your question Anton, but I'd be interested to find out too. A trawl of the archives didn't show much.

I guessed I'd need to use a scrubbing brush and some fairy liquid or similar.

Any better suggestions? *smile*

Edited by - k80rum on 16 Mar 2007 14:24:57

• Leadership Team

I did this a few months back - soaked the harnesses in a solution of hot water and washing powder for a while, then attacked with Fairy and a nail brush.

The amount of muck that came off was quite impressive and although they don't look "as new" they're a LOT better than before.

Michael.

• Leadership Team

And safer *thumbup* As with climbing ropes which are also Nylon, the dirt will cause abrasion over time weekening the webbing. Not likely to be a failure issue but always good practice to maintain properly.

Stu.

Agree with Michael, we had yellow belts and annual treatment as per his post worked very well. Protected the lock mechanism from water by wrapping in cling film and a sealing type of kitchen bag. Light spray with 'scotch guard' carpet protector afterwards maintained a good finish for some time.

Peter 7 Rosina

Temecula

California

Been offline for a while and haven't been able to check out the posts.

My belts are black and don't show the dirt 😳

Thanks for the advice - I'd thought washing powder might be too strong so didn't like to risk it.

I'll give it a go and see what happens

LEO 3eggs

Another Slightly Vider SeVen

• 7 years later...

Took out the better half last week, the 'strap marks' were not the type that are considered acceptable. Really need to do something about it so checked the archives on cleaning. One post and 7 years old. Has anyone found a better way of cleaning seat belts since or has this post stood the test of time? Anyone brave / foolish enough to try them in a washing machine with inside a pillow case (removing as much metal as possible) *eek* Does a good overnight soak seem less damaging to the washing machine?

Or, as I suspect, my wife just high maintenance and should wear something dark in future 😬

Advice from a manufacturer:

CLEANING

• To clean the harness belt, use only mild soap and warm water.

• Never use solvents or other cleaning solutions, they can weaken the webbing or stitch pattern.

• Never use chemical solvents or cleaning solutions to clean the rotary buckle. The high impact resistant

polycarbonate [PC] material is sensitive to any kind of hydrocarbons, also to spray cleaners containing

hydrocarbons.

• Do not dry the belt in the sun or near a radiator, in a clothes dryer or with a hair dryer or with any other

mechanical or electrical heating device. Heating webbing may make the material shrink and the precisely

designed elongation rate will be changed.

• Always allows a cleaned belt to air dry naturally.

• Always have damaged sub-assemblies of the harness belt replaced before using the harness belt again.

• Never modify, disassemble or repair the belt by yourself.

Never clean your racing harness with chemical solvents or spray cleaner.

Webbing or buckle housings weakened by solvents or chemicals may fail during an accident and severe

injuries or death may occur.

Recently cleaned by driver's side red harnesses.

I soaked them for a short while in Fairy non-bio hand wash gel and then lightly scrubbed with a nail brush.

Really didn't require much effort or time but was very surprised and impressed with the results, especially when comparing to the passenger sides. Hadn't realised they got so grubby.

So time to repeat with the other ones now.

Cheers

David

Update: It was not quietest wash I’ve ever done, mind you I haven’t done that many. Sealed them with cable ties and inside a pair of old jeans. Done on a low temp with pre-wash and no spin. Result was pretty damn good. Even the jeans came out well. Leaving to air dry then fit later tonight. Should have done this years ago *wink*