Rags

Leatherman

Black electrical tape

Assorted Nuts/bolts/washers

Allen key set

Locking 'mole' grips

Spare exhaust bobbin

Spare fuses

And probably stuff I can't remember. Does this show I'm thoroughly prepared or a total lack of faith in my car 😬 😬 😬

Seek forgiveness, not permission.

Rules are for the interpretation of wise men and the obedience of fools.

I have got a Halfords wallet type which I will use as a base, plus

12mm and 14mm ring spanners?, 8mm hex for diff?, tool for gear box 8mm square?

Just thought there may be some tools you find you use most of the time which I can put in the car without raiding the garage.

Ric are yours in any particular order 🤔 You have a torch in 4 place?

Marc

Edited by - MarcNS on 27 Apr 2006 12:48:16

I spent a happy day in the garage building up a tool kit which is suprisingly small if you apply the question, What could I do on the side of the road without any spares? So it basically comes down to dealing with electrics and refixing stuff that might come loose and the usual emergency get you home fixes.

Paul M

Just the order they came to mind. IIRC the hex for the diff is 10mm and the same for the g/box. No point in carrying them though as you'll struggle to use them unless you've got the car on axle stands

Seek forgiveness, not permission.

Rules are for the interpretation of wise men and the obedience of fools.

hmm - preventative maintenance and regular checks?

I carry . . . the jack, the wheel brace, the jack handle and the spare wheel . . .and a mobile phone to summon the breakdown company I pay money to . . .although I currently can't find the phone . . . and it's on 'silent' . . .

Don't carry much more on longer trips - even un-supported European trips of several thousand miles.

What do you carry in the tin-top?

Bri

A longish bit of fairly heavy wire is handy to bypass the MFRU on a 'k' and kick the solenoid direct from the battery. It also works (on standard cars) as a hand-throttle cable if you remove the pedal-box cover and feed the wire direct from the throttle and down to around the knee area...

I carry a pint of oil in a clean 1-pint plastic milk bottle zip-tied to the base of one of the roll bar mounts. Hasn't leaked or anything in over a year. I probably ought to rig another one full of coolant...

Project Scope-Creep is live...

Alcester Racing 7's Equipe - 🙆🏻

Alcester-Racing-Sevens.com

Don't forget a knife. Why? 12 years ago when my car was 3 months old water sprayed over the windscreen. HGF you all say. No! The bleed hose from the front of the head had split as the clip was too tight. Cut the end off & re-fixed it in 10 minutes.

Oh yes forgot to mention had to borrow the knife from a 6'6" 18 stone trucker so now always have a sharp knife in the car.