Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MoT emissions failure - grrrr

fastlady

Well it seems like I am now well and truly initiated into the inner sanctum of Caterham ownership! *tongue*

My car has just failed its MoT on emissions 😳 so I'd like some advice on how to get it through.....

Spec is:

2002 1800K Roadsport, standard ECU (not sure if it's EU2 or EU3, can check), DVA ported head, fast-road cams (pretty sure BP270), verniers, 52mm throttle body and Powerspeed 4-2-1 exhaust with the standard Roadsport silencer and cat.

I've already spoken to Dave Andrews and he suggests making sure the cat and lambda probe are completely warmed up before doing the emissions test - but if it still fails after that one possibility is to fit an Emerald ECU and use a suitable emissions-friendly map with it.

Sooo.... a) is this the best/only route to getting it to pass, b) are there any other (preferably free/cheap!) things to try before swapping the ECU and c) if not, does anyone have such a map for an Emerald in a car with a similar spec to mine, preferably that has already got through the emissions test in the MoT?

BTW I don't have time for a full mapping session at Emerald as I want to get the car MoT'd before Croix which is only two weeks away, and taking even more time off work is not really an option for IT contractor scum like me...... *wink*

TIA

Caroline

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Caroline,

Since you are in London it might not be too far to take it to Andy Belcher's (I think I have the name right) garage in Coulsden where they do the get to know your Seven's days. He is an MOT tester and will know how to warm the car up properly.

Peter

Thanks Peter - in fact I would normally have taken it to Andy but as it was being serviced at James Whiting's this week anyway he said he would get the MoT done at the same time.

AFAIK he sends them out to a third party to do the MoT though, so I may well end up taking it to Andy (who did it last year) if they aren't used to the vagiaries of Caterhams at the place James uses! 😳

It appears the problem is only on the fast idle test - the results were:

Fast Idle test (2450-3050 rpm)

CO should be < 0.30% was 0.49%

HC should be < 200ppm was 278

Lambda should be 0.95-1.09 was 0.977 (pass)

Second fast idle test (same limits)

CO 1.22% (not sure why it's so much higher??)

HC 208ppm

Lambda 0.959 (pass)

Natural Idle test (700 -1250rpm)

CO should be < 0.50 was 0.32 (passed).

HTH,

Caroline

Dave21 - good luck with your MoT! *thumbup* Hmmm... looks like there are a few of us all with our fingers crossed to make sure our cars are all ready and road-legal before Croix now 😳

I guess in my case if it doesn't get through before Croix (or even for Mav's Anglesey day for that matter), as I'm trailering it there anyway it wouldn't really be a big problem - but obviously I want to get it through an MoT at some point so I can blat on the roads again!! *cool*

Caroline - can you keep us (me) updated with how you overcome the problem? My car is similar spec to yours and is due its first MOT in May.

Thanks, Ian. *smile*

-------------------------------------------------

The main problem with common sense is that it's not that common!

i watch this thread with interest.

I have a superlight 99 with arrowstar conversion, 170bhp or so, running throttle bodies and lumenition K400 ECU (not a common choice afaik). I have swapped to the standard CAT and have an MOT tomorrow. If it fails on emmisions I have absolutely no idea what to do.

will let you know how I get on but keen to know what you do to get yours through the test Caroline.

Dave

Caroline - can you keep us (me) updated with how you overcome the problem? My car is similar spec to yours and is due its first MOT in May.

I might be interested as well. My 7 is a 2003 RoadSport A (EU3 1600 SS) and has the competition 4into1 exhaust, with no cat.

I've got an MOT booked for next week (fairly local to you Ian), I've kinda resigned myself to the fact that it won't pass on emissions (although I'm still crossing my fingers!) and will need to think about how to get around the problem. I might have to go the Emerald route as well in the future *wink* 😬

Den

http://www.dens7.co.uk

Edited by - Dirty Den on 15 Mar 2006 15:12:51

Caroline

Strange.

I have the same engine as you with standard MEMS EU3 (2003) and standard Roadsport silencer and cat and, at my first MOT last month, the MOT tester said the emissions (or rather the lack of them) were some of the best he has ever seen for any make of car he has tested.

I don't have the DVA ported head, fast-road cams or verniers but do have a 52mm throttle body. Would these make such a difference to emissions?

Chris

2003 1.8K SV 140hp see it here

Well, i failed miserably on emmissions, all three readings well out.

Garage reckons I should change the lambda probe.??? Would this help.

Next option is getting a map and a lead to download an MOT friendly setting to get it through on a Lumenition K400 ECU.

Any other ideas?

Other wise the tester thought the car was like new!!!

Sorry bout hijacking thread

Just today had my "Visible Smoke Test" 😬 X-Flow MOT tested at a very careful and seven friendly garage in Windsor who also have 4X4 rollers for LSD equiped cars (Blatmail me for details - rather risk getting them in trouble) and in spite of being computerised, they were not expecting to cat test any Sevens.

They remained adament that all Caterhams would only be subject to visible smoke tests and/or they had ways of getting round it.