Click here if you are having website access problems ×

So the time has come, (again),* UPDATED*

Weirdy

Could some one loan me a copy of the build manual for a 'K' series clutch to 6 speed box, Specifically the VHPD? I have been inspired *idea*, (by lack of funds, lots of free time and Missus Weirdy), to change Minty's clutch myself, with the aid of the father inlaw, (who hasn't been out in Minty yet).

A donation of a sufficient type or amount will be given to LRF, to be set buy the loanee 😬

All advice, thoughts, good will, (hex's) and general banter on how to best do it quickly and in one day would also be welcome...I am hoping to do it sometime in the new year ready for my birthday and Minty's second track day in April...

Weirdy

Its not the winning thats important, its the taking them apart.......

Edited by - weirdy on 8 Dec 2005 20:53:09

Edited by - weirdy on 1 Feb 2006 12:35:05

The build manual doesn't describe fitting the clutch at all. It's very simple though, the clutch is affixed to the flywheel using n bolts (where n is 6 IIRC, but it's been a long time). Someone here will know what the torque settings for the bolts should be. They have a non-standard (Torx?) type head so you need the right tool.

Mike

Pauly howeird@hotmail.com 😬 *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup* ADVthanxs

Mike having to remove the engine and reconnecting it all after install, so pretty much everything 😬 I may be a technician but when it comes to cars I know the basics... So Xmas pressie list a torque setable socket thingie.....

ADV thanks guys I appreciate any advice support goading and help 😬 *thumbup* *thumbup* *thumbup*

Weirdy

Its not the winning thats important, its the taking them apart.......

Weirdy, how about inviting a friendly BCer to help you do it and giving an NtL donation? If I were near Colchester/Chelmsford/wherever it is you live in that part of the world I'd help out and show you how to carry on in exchange for car related chat, a steady stream of tea, hot bacon sandwiches and a beer afterwards and I'm sure there are others near you who would be delighted to dodge Xmas shopping that way.

Weirdy

FWIW the best advice I can give is to take some digital pics of the engine bay etc before you start and then of assemblies as you dismantle so that when you start putting it all back together and can't remember which bit went where and which way round you can check. Also, make sketches and take copious notes of which way around bolts and washers etc go (good job for the father-in-law).

Have lots of little plastic bags handy (freezer bags with ties are good) to put bits into and label up as you go.

I don't know if the 'K' is the same as the Vx clutch but on the Vx there are some spacer washers between the clutch cover and the flywheel which need to be put back in the right place. May not be the same but one of the things to note if it is.

best of luck

Paul

Your big strategic decision will be whether split the engine/bellhousing in the car and leave the gearbox/bellhousing in situ, or whether to take the whole lot out and split them afterwards. I've only ever done the whole-lot-out-route, but other people do it the other way. You may get away with just shunting the engine forward far enough to get at the clutch without taking it out altogether. I'm sure someone must have tried this?

Mike

Have had a look at my bolts, absolutely nothing requiring any odd tools...

The bolts that holds the clutch cover are ordinary hex head bolts, between engine and bellhousing it's caphead bolts, so a decent set of sockets and allen keys should do it...

JDFI

/regin

Hi, it will have six flat sides and the the spanner/socket will drive it from the outside

with a caphead bolt, there is a six sided hole in the middle for an allen key

There is no doubt a more eloquent way of saying that but i hope it makes sense