Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Keying Duratec cranks / cylinder heads.

AMMO

Rob

I've decided to try to resist the temptation to go all the way. Maybe just the big valve head, cams, rods and pistons and keep the standard crank.

Dunno, I change my mind every day.

The big valves are on their way so work on the head should start soon.

AMMO

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my big valves. Will be having a serious look at a head today. Also taking final measurements from a 2.3 crank to have a steel version made for 8.500 rpm.

What would you like Santa to bring you this Christmas? Could I have a 300 bhp Duratec please? 😬

AMMO

Mike

I think the stroke is rather long at 94 mm. The mean piston speed is way up at over 26.5* metres per second at 8,500 rpm. Limiting the rpm is a way of ensuring engine longevity. An extra 500 rpm may turn the expensive bits in your engine into just an expensive pile of bits. Personally I don't have the budget to find out what happens if we go to 9,000 rpm.

Cosworth rev their 300 bhp Formula Atlantic Duratec to 8,600 and get away with it.

Touring car engines with 82 mm strokes revved to 8,500 (due to rules) were only 23 metres per second. 2.3 Duratecs with stock cranks are also only 23 metres per second. WSBK Suzuki engines that revved to 15000 rpm only had a mean piston speed of 24 metres per second.

Better safe than sorry.

Edited to say: * In old money this is 5200 ft per minute. When I first started getting involved in engine tuning the figure was around 4,000 ft per minute for mean piston speed.

AMMO

Edited by - AMMO on 8 Sep 2005 15:05:35

Mike

I guess your crank stroke is around 84 mm for your 1700 K. At 9200 rpm that is 25.8 metres per second piston speed. So quite similar.

I had a visit from a crank manufacturer yesterday who told me that some F1 engines have strokes of 35 mm. Even at 20,000 rpm this is only 23.3 mps.

AMMO

Acceleration is the killer but as all engines have the same basic crank rods piston setup a piston speed number gives a pretty good indication of the stresses caused by the acceleration of the pistons at each end of the stroke

Average piston speed tells you nothing (as such) but is easy to calculate and infers quite a lot.

conrod length does have an impact on the shape of the acceleration curve but is a relatively small variation in this context

Nick

Neil - I think I know where the questions coming from and if so the person who suggested you need to modify the timing chain tensioner assembly doesn't even believe you can get 300bhp from a Duratec (yet) *tongue*

BTW Did you pick up your dry sump bits yesterday? Did you see the complete assembly on my car?(haven't been over yet to get a progress update)

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures here

Mike,

You car had the DS pan fitted, tank in place but no hoses or pump fitted. Your pump was sitting on the bench in the engine build room, so was in really close proximity to the car *thumbup*

Peter was not there for the day, just Chris.

Still waiting on my pump to come from Titan............................

As to the Cossie, steel crank, no price as yet, which infers that it is not in production yet.

Duratec SV, built in Dubai *cool*

MikeE, Dobuy

Cosworth have only made cranks for their own use so far. They are made in-house in their impressive crankshaft / camshaft department. They will be released at some point. I couldn't wait and wanted to do my own thing anyway. Should have the crank for the end of October. Hopefully have an engine on the dyno before Christmas.

The Cosworth dry sump with internal scavenge pump did look like a nice piece of kit actually. Be interesting to see how it compares to the Raceline / Titan one.

Have ordered bigger valve seats so big valve head should be on the flowbench in the next three to four weeks time. 😬

AMMO

MikeE

I don't deal much with Mountune. I indirectly supply engines to them via another engine builder and have spoken to them a couple of times on the phone regarding any problems they may have had revving the Duratec.

I did meet Dave Mountain and Dave Vizard in the late '80's whilst dyno testing. Dave Mountain looked very young and made lots of phone calls on his Motorola mobile which was the size of a brick 😬

Most Duratec engine tuners will be playing around with bigger valves. I am using 36 / 31 mm as opposed to 35 / 30 mm which is fitted as standard to Duratec. 36 /31 is an old Ducati Superbike size which I also used on my Guzzi race bike. I have done a lot of work with these valve sizes. Ducati then increased to 37 mm inlets. There are 37 mm inlets for the Duratec but I am worried that fitting even bigger seats may lead to cracking of the head. Better safe than sorry.

Edited to say to Dobuy that Cosworth have not modified their chain tesioners.

AMMO

Edited by - AMMO on 11 Sep 2005 10:44:37

Neil

Spoke to Peter today and my installs been put on hold for a couple of days, still hopeful it'll be finished by Saturday and we can get it on the rolling road early next week. I'll let you know the results.

cheers

R400 Duratec Build and Modification Pictures here

Mike,

You can have either a 2 or 3 stage pump. Some regard the 2.3's internal pump as not being up to the job.

Mine is going to be a 3 stage like Mick's

Mick, looks good, how does it run?

Looks like you got the modified casting to clear the engine mount.

Any other problems with the install?

Duratec SV, built in Dubai *cool*

Edited by - Dobuy on 16 Sep 2005 19:05:59