Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting protection grille behind 7 grille

LazerBrain

*thumbup*Thanks for the ideas, it looks like everyone does it differently!

I've tried using wire to hold both grilles in at the top, and then just cable-tieing the prongs at the bottom side together. I think I may well take the bottom prongs off the mesh grille and cable tie or wire it to the 7 grille, as I'm reluctant to make holes in the GRP so close to the edge in case it splits/tears.

cheers,

Darren.

When I built my seven 6 years ago I used 6mm galvanised gauze from Wicks, made a cardboard template and then cut gauze with lugs at appropriate positions for the pins and then used hot meld to fix into position.

It worked a treat and has never come loose by itself but easy to remove and replace should one need to.

Mark

CATCH THE WIND

Back in 2001 a certain ECK had a hole punched in his rad. at the Ring. It was amazing how many people fitted (me included) some protection for the rad within a few weeks. I used galvanised mesh cut to shape & wired to the existing grill. A quick spray with paint finished it off.

Edited by - Mick Day on 20 Apr 2005 17:32:39

Darren

SVA requirements are that the mesh grille shouldbe fitted in front of the "7" grille but it looks much better behind. i just enlarged the holes in the base of the nosecone and slightly widened the slots in the top.

A bit of a bu$$er to get everything lined up because the prongs not exactly aligned hence the slot widening. looks good when finished though especially if the "7" is highlighted in a contrast colour *cool*

David

1989 1700XF SS with upgraditis

Advice from CC which I ignored. The basis is that the "edges" in a "7" grille could cause more damage in a car/ pedestrian accident - seemingly ok if you have just the "7" but if you protect with a mesh grille then you're expected to protect accident risk to pedestrians to a greater extent.

sounded bo££oc&s at the time hence i ignored it - please be aware i have a PHD to Total Bo££oc&s - seemed mildly relevant to the subject of the post though

David

1989 1700XF SS with upgraditis