Click here if you are having website access problems ×

More Trailer Advice

Jenson Button

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got a woodford Trailer (16'1 x 6'1) twin axle which i tow behind a 1.9TDI seat alhambra. car weighs 700 KG and i carry 8 spare wheels and tools in a front box.

the trailer is about 4' too long for what i need and the space i have and am now changing it for a shorter one.

at autosport show i looked at the other trailers on display and came to the conclusion that the finish and materials on the wioodford product was superior to the others.

I have just ordered a new woodford trailer therefore, and they gave me a reasonable p/ex for my old one

Hi Richard (Choc TV), only just had a chance to add something to this thread.

I have a BJ Minno. If you have even the slightest of slope out side your garage you will find it almost impossible to move the trailer with car loaded on your own its just too heavy with 2 people it might be possible. When I get home I unload the 7, unhitch the trailer, drag trailer into garage with hitch at far end and then drive car onto trailer. This also means if I just want to use the car I just drive/wheel it off. When going out with the trailer I have to take 7 off, drag trailer out, hitch to tow car on street and then put the 7 back on. I know this sounds a bit of hassle but after a couple of goes it doesn't take that long.

Unfortunately I am not around this weekend. But you are welcome to pop round next week and have a look at my trailer and how it fits in the garage.

Alan and his Yellow and Green 1700 BDR HPC.

Edited by - Alan L on 11 Mar 2005 12:03:01

And it may be worth remembering that the plated weight of the trailer must not exceed the max towable weight of the towcar. I have a Hazlegrove trailer that used to be plated at 2600kg. It is now plated at 1600kg so I can tow it behind the Volvo! It is irrelevent if the trailer is loaded or not.

its only a game.........

I hired a trailer the other week and 1 of the wheels fell off somewhere between Penrith and Hull. I didn't notice until I stopped (it was the middle of the night) but I thank god that it had a twin axle else I would have ended up with a massive bill..... plus any injuries to myself.

I towed a lot with a Citroen ZX 1.9D. Not fast but it always got us there.

Nose weight using a Minno 4 wheeler had to be 65KG or it started to snake around 60.

The Turbo version of the ZX would be fine for towing and would keep you at 60 up hills too. Should be cheap enough.

Of course a heavier towcar will be more stable and some folk seem to regularly tow breaking the limit.

Am I right in thinking the speed limit for a single axle is 50 on a dual carriageway or motorway. I know it's 60 for a twin axle.

I've now got a Passat estate TDI 130 and am looking forward to towing to Cadwell in May. My Prev TDI 90 towed ok too.

Hants (North) and Berkshire Area club site here

My racing info site

here

All trailers have the same speed restrictions. 60mph on a dual carriageway/motorway (unless other speed restrictions apply to the road). Some older trailers, especially caravans, will have the old 50mph sticker on them in which case they must stay below 50. Unless you peel the sticker off!

Robertb, a three wheeld trailer! That could be a good compromise between a four/two wheeled unit!! (although if it had been a two wheeled unit then it would have stopped you from driving the breadth of the country with a dangerous/illegal load!! *wink*)

its only a game.........

Edited by - owelly on 14 Mar 2005 16:01:08