Click here if you are having website access problems ×

set up advise rear end !

catman

Having bought my first 7 48 hrs ago *thumbup* my mind is starting to evaluate the car *confused*

I have a standard Superlight on 13" half worn CR500's that feels a little loose at the back end when powering through a corner *confused* oversteer is scaring me !!

A few simple questions -

Are part worn CR's poor in performance?

Are the tyre pressures too high?

What should the tyre pressures be for an 11 stone guy?

Should the back end be softened to increase grip?

Any thoughts welcome - before I visit the scenery

😳

Ian Bebb

K16 TOY Superlight No12

yellow/carbon.

Now, I'm going to ask some really basic questions - please do not be offended....

As it's your first Seven, when you drive the car, what are you comparing it with?

If the car you are most used to is FWD and with traction control, then there is going to be a learning process.

You use the expression:

"when powering through a corner..."

Assuming that you haven't entered too fast, at which point in the corner are you applying power;

Before, at or after the apex?

When you increase power; do you squeeze the throttle progressivlely, or floor it?

Is the oversteeer more obvious on slow corners like roundabouts, or fast bends?

Would you describe the road surface as damp?

If your answers are: before, floor, slow, yes - then welcome to rear wheel drive.

Ian whatever you do, dont do what I did. I thought the ride was too harsh so I softened both the spring and damper settings. Set off on my usual blat and thought that all seemed much better. Got to a high speed roundabout on a dual carriageway - entered it at the usual speed but when I came out of the roundabout the car spun round so quickly that I couldnt stop it. Then believe it or not it took me a couple of minutes to work out which way I was facing.

I was so disorientated that I hadnt a clue. Thank God though that there was no other traffic.

I had also recorded all the settings so was able to put everything back to where I started from but be warned! Chas

Hi Guys

Thanks for your comments -

In answer to some of your questions -

Have been in many 7's, mainly at track days, and they have seemed more grippy at the rear ?

Have owned an Elise previously that I considered fair handling but not as good as the 7's i've been in?

The track is smooth so I guess this helps the traction, but I have driven 2 other Superlights on public roads that felt more assured at the rear ?

And to top it all - - - the Academy 7 racer on van rubber on a dry Cadwell was awesome for rear end grip ??

Me - - I believe in smooth driving, brake in a straight line, get the balance, then progressively throttle through the corner - - so I would like to think that I should be getting the balance correct.

17 PSI is interesing, will see what I have - only got the car Saturday - - blattered on the stars last night - - with caution !

Ian

K16 TOY Superlight No12

yellow/carbon.

Forgive me, now I understand your starting point - it sounds as if you need help in the set up dept, as you originally asked

Over to the experts in that dept, quite sure that I haven't any advice that would be appropriate. Best of luck, and hope you get it so that you really enjoy your Superlight.

Glad to see you're enjoying the car!

Worn rear tyres may not be helping but I've found the cold weather we've had recently dramatically effects rear end stability. I'm running AO21R's which give plenty of grip when it's warm but come the winter months they give up very easily.

I'd wait until road conditions get a little warmer before making any decisions.

• Area Representative

Ian,

You're correct in your theory of making the back softer will reduce oversteer.

Do you have an rear anti roll bar? If so, it would be worth adjusting it softer (move the drop links further back), or even disconnection it completly (unscrew the drop links and tyrap the links to the dedion tube, and the tails of the bar to the chassis).

Do you know what springs and dampers are fitted?

The last time I saw K16TOY, it was running on ACB10 tyres (crossply's),and would have been set up to run with less negative camber (0.25°) than radials like (1.5°). However may people say that CR500's tolerate a low camber setup quite well.

You may also get a different perception of levels of grip from the drivers seat!

You'll also find that grip tends to be poor, even on what appears to be dry roads at this time of year.

Thanks again boys for the advise - the roads are still salt covered, the temp low, so I will do more homework before taking serious action !

Checked tyre pressure tonight - 17PSI all round

n/s rear corner seems stiffer when pushed down than the o/s rear ?

Sring colour is red all round and quite "wound up"

Build spec has rear anti roll listed with 9/16" stated !

Ian

• Area Representative

Ian,

Like others have suggested, I think I would wait for the weather to improve a bit for the tyres to be a bit more effective before making too many / any adjustments. Sounds like you are having fun out there though! MADS tomorrow if you fancy a blast over...

Cheers

Nick

Yellow HPC - A 2.0 VX - 😬

Pressures sound reasonable to me. The n/s rear being softer is the opposite to what I'd expect, but you'd really need to get the car on some scales to check this properly.

What I would really need to know is

a) colour of front anti-roll bar (look at the colour of the bushes as it goes into the nosecone)

b) setting of rear ARB - which hole is the droplink connected to

c) ride height rear (measured under chassis rails where the rear ARB connects) and ride height front (measured under chassis rail where the rear arm of the lower front wishbone is located)

d) De dion ear colour.

That would at least allow a basic diagnosis of the setup.

Charles

---

My Roadsports B 2005 diary

My Caterham Academy 2004 build and race diary

Hi Catman

1.9" x 250lb front and 2.25" 200lb rear

Rear Z arm at lower position

Was set-up for ACB10's and flat floored with 80kg (July '03) using 6" ACB10 at the front and 7"x24(?) at the rear. Unless the set-up has changed then fitting same sized CR500 will alter the handling (reduce the rake).

17psi might be a bit low (if you want 22 when hot can you get them hot with road and ambient temps currently so low?)

It's not primrose it's Dakkar Yellow

I've got half worn (5000 miles -ish) CR500s, and the handling has felt 'not quite right' on the last few occasions I've been out. No consistency to this - I've had everything from power oversteer to full on four wheel drifts via really nasty understeer *eek*

I've changed nothing on the car's setup, but the roads have been so cold and greasy (we don't seem to have had any good downpours for ages to clean things up), so I've put it down to this. When the weather warms up and the roads are cleaner I'll find out if I'm right 😬

Guy

See some pictures of the build here. 4000 miles completed!

This is starting to sound like you're all ganging up on the poor old CR500s, so just to counter that... I've had just about every kind of tyre on my Seven (apart from ACB10) and the CR500s are excellent. They do not go off as they wear down, even to the legal limit. They also grip much better than I have a right to expect in this weather, BUT that is much less grip than a dry summer's day. So I support the advice to wait until the weather improves before doing anything drastic to the car, unless you have an unshakable feeling that something is wrong, then get it looked at.

Oh, and congratulations on a) buying a Seven, and b) not waiting for the weather to improve before taking it out!

Strangely

I've never had anything but CR500s on my car (and this is the first set), and on a warm dry day they are phenomenal.

With the roads and temperature as they are today though, it is incredible how much less grip they deliver.

From what I read on here, the difference in grip with some other tyres would be even more marked. Still better than running on Pileups though 😬

Guy

Strangley -

Thanks for the advise -

Glad to here the CR's are good when worn, the bank account has suffered as it is !

Had a mint Elise - - never took it out on dull days !!

Wanted an honest used 7 that was ready regardless of the weather - - and to be honest - - when I've been out - - including last night again !! - - in a snow shower !!! - I've felt a warmth inside that is directly linked to the fun factor of the drive - - she's great !!!!

Will wait for the warmer roads - - it's a steep learning curve in progressing too understand your 7's inner most secrets - - looking forward to the climb !

Oh and by the way - -

Joined the Lotus 7 club today - - mission accomplished !! low flying in the post as we speak - hope to meet some of you guys during the year

*biggrin*

Ian

K16 TOY Superlight No12

yellow/carbon.

Catman

I'm a Shropshire lad (Wellington) originally. Parents now live in Ironbridge.

Not taken the Se7en up there yet, as there seems to be no way to their house that avoids the speed bumps. Possibly down Jiggers Bank, but that is probably worse than speed bumps *eek*.

What blatting routes do you use?

Guy

Severn heaven,

If your comming to Shropshire let me know !

Have only had the car a week so i'm still working out best blatting routes - My first impression is that Shropshire bumpy B roads don't get the best out of a 7. Best to find a quite A road that has a nice surface !

Looking forward to going to the Wynbunbury meet (2nd Wednesday) great blatting road from Market Drayton up to Audlem - maybe a B road - - but it's a nice surface !

Used to enjoy the Shrewsbury to Ironbridge road in my Elsie, have'nt triad the 7 along there yet !

But the best road of all - - -

The one that has a Marshall's post every now and again !!

Ian