Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine out. What could I do to the car?

Scalper

My engine broke down and will have to be taken out of the car for a rebuild. Is there any work which I could do to the car while the engine is out?

I have only owned my seven for a few days, so I am not very familiar with the car. I was thinking of replacing the clutch and maybe taking out the gearbox and checking it for wear. Is there anything else I should/could do to the car while the engine is out and getting rebuilt?

btw the car is a 1990 live axle xflow superspirnt

Enrico

• Leadership Team

Fit an alloy bellhousing? Quite a few kg saved for not too much money?

Replace the clutch as you suggested.

Clean the engine bay whild you have got good accesss.

Oh, and if you are RAELLY bored while waiting for the engine to come back as I was, polish the exhaust!

Michael.

Consider any changes you may want to make to cooling/heating system so you only have to drain down once.

The car broke down the day after I picked it up. ☹️ So having used the car only for one day and a half I have absolutely no idea of whether I want to/should upgrade anything in the cooling system. However since the radiator is pretty old it could be a good idea to fit something newer, more efficent, and lighter. Wouldn't it?

However keep in mind that I am on a rather limited budget. I've already spent a considerable amount of money to buy the car and now unfortunately I have to pay for an expensive engine rebuild. So there is not too much cash left to upgrade the car.

I will certainly touch up the chassis were the powder coating has fallen off and remove the surface rust. However the chassis is in pretty good condition and the only area where the powder coating has fallen off is at the rear of the car. So having the engine out of the car will not make a big difference.

Mcalvert,

any idea of how much an alloy bellhousing costs? are they available to fit a 4 speed box? what is the best place to buy one?

Enrico

The thing that squeeks under the bonnet... no not the engine...

😬

Its the bearing that is in the clutch assy, and its known to go, but only if you get a) a duff un or b) done >50k miles.

But if you got the engine out its wise to change it as thats the only way you can.

LeMans 2004 pics here

Seven related chat here

I still have no idea of what a clutch release bearing is. Anyway, I hope that once the engine is out of the car I'll be able to locate the CRB and figure out what it is that you were talking about. *smile*

Anyway, would it be a good idea to change it even if the car only has 15,000 miles?

Edited by - Scalper on 29 Sep 2004 17:32:02

• Area Representative

Change the CRB, even if it's not a K and even if it's only done 15k.

CRBs are relatively inexpensive (I paid £5 for mine, but the correct price is probably about £10 or £15).

It isn't just a K series thing. I firmly believe that part of the reason for early CRB failure is limted use that all 7's have coupled with high temperatures. CRB gets dry with heat i.e. no lubrication. Then it gets moisture and gets left for 3 or 4 weeks, during which time corrosion occurs.

CHANGE IT - YOU KNOW IT MAKES SENSE

Bad luck Enrico. Is it under warranty?

Something that you could do is a LHD conversion! Only half joking. Bruce at Arch quoted less than £1000 for the chassis mods to a chassis without engine. On top of that you will need a new steering rack and fing someone to modify the exhaust.

If you want the full story, drop me a line, I haven't done it yet, but keep thinking about it.

Paul

Unfortunately no warranty ☹️

The dealer paid for the starter motor which broke down a few hours after I collected the car, but will not pay for the engine which broke down the next day.

Although before buying the car I did think about getting it converted to LHD, after having driven it I don't think it would be worth doing it. Drivng a RHD car felt as easy and natural as driving a LHD car, even paying motorway tolls in France wasn't a problem despite not having a passenger with me.

Enrico

Scalper, would definately change the clutch and release bearing. also a good opportunity to get out all the sand/debris that collects at the back of the engine bay between the outer alloy skins and the footwell boxes. I use a piece of flattened copper pipe shaped to get into the limited space to shovel the muck out and finish off with a small plastic tube taped to a vacuum cleaners hose. Road debris gets blown in there and due to this muck getting wet it is a known point for the skin and chassis tubes to corrode. Also if your battery is down under the carbs it is worthwhile thinking about the battery tray /cable kit from Caterham to reposition it above the passengers footwell. Good luck with the engine!

Scalper, there's a bunch of photos of clutch release bearings here that will give you an idea of what it is.

Additional suggestion as to what you can do while the engine is out of the car - there are a number of posts about applying heat shielding to the engine side of the foot wells and inside the gearbox tunnel. The foot well of the Seven can get pretty hot and uncomfortable in hot weather!

Ken Sailor