Click here if you are having website access problems ×

How to get the battery out from under the Carbs

greg

On a drysumped Xflow?

I have a rather dead banner, and need to replace it.

Looking at thought it will not comeout from underneather as the clutchcable, drysump pump and battery tray are in the way, the steering column might also be in the way.

To remove it from the top I would need to remove either the manifold, carbs or both.

Any suggestions?

I was in a similar position with my Vauxhall and found that by removing the engine mount fixing bolts on the chassis I was able to move the engine just far enough sideways to drop the battery out from below. But I don't have a dry sump pump.

Mick Burrell

AO West Hants

West Hants Web Site

Edited by - Mick Burrell on 13 Sep 2004 12:22:18

I have to remove my carbs.

If you leave the accelerator cable bracket on (bolted to each carb underneath) then the carbs can be removed complete with air filters still fitted, in one.

I remove the accelorator cable from the carb, and slide out of cable bracket,

Remove the two fuel unions (one from each carb),

and remove the nuts and rubber mounts which hold carbs to manifold.

I can then lift the carbs from the manifold in one, and gain access to battery.

I'm thinking of putting a remote battery charger plug in, as I'm tired of reaching under the carbs to attach charger/conditioner leads and cutting my hands on the wire locks on the carbs.

Cheers,

Andy *cool*

Trying to put a 2.0 VX race car on the road :)

I had a DS 1700 XF and was able to drop it out from underneath by jacing the car up high and getting a steep angle of attack on the battery. I taped over the batt tops and made sure the

overflow pipe was blocked to prevent acid loss. Got thenew batt in the same route.

Unless you have a bigger than Banney batt installed you should be ok.

Edited by - SteveA7 on 13 Sep 2004 14:26:27

Be aware that if the battery to be tilted is not individually sealed cells the front cell will be low and the back cell overfull which will lead to early failure.

I have a Red Top which is so small it easily goes in between pedal box & battery tray and will lay upright or sideways and is fully sealed.

They are expensive at £65+ but, I think, worth it for ease of getting in or out and light weight.

norman verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

Edited to say that the owners manual says, remover carbs, remove steering coloumn, replace battery.

Edited by - nverona on 13 Sep 2004 16:24:14

Greg,

1. If you need a hand sorting this out let me know I'm semi-unemployed at the moment so potentially have time on hand.

2. Ammo had a source for fancy compact batteries, I think they were military spec Hawker possibly, really can't remember but very compact and could slot it in anywhere.

Alan

Greg, I got mine from Demon Tweeks. It's the Red Top 20. Speak to Dave Kimberly, tell him your a 7 club member and he may get you discount. The latest catalouge prices it at £68.75. It's samll and light, so small & light that I can pick it up between thumb & finger.

norman verona, 1989 BDR 220bhp, Mem No 2166, the full story here

• 4 years later...

I'm just going throught the same process by removing a Banner battery on a later x-flow chassis with the 'Y' shaped tubes under the battery tray. It does mean carbs out I'm afraid if you have a post 92 chassis with a X-flow. I'm replacing it with a Powervamp PRV25 battery which is so small that in future I won't need to take the carbs off, as the battery will drop out from under the car although I need to make up a much smaller battery tray to hold it. These PV 25's have 'captured' acid plates and therefore won't spill anything nasty out, (you can fit them sideways too) and they have a very high cranking speed good for hight compression engines, and an 8 -10 working life, but they are more expensive, and you can't use some battery chargers with it as too much voltage will kill them instantly. So its either a trickle charger or one of th 'smart' chargers which only supply just the right amount of current to match the battery charge state.

James Whiting use to do a kit to sit the battery above the bellhousing its not on his site anymore but might be worth a ring. Worked a treat *thumbup* now mine has a bit Freedom battery where the heater use to be

If he does not do them anymore you could make one yourself fairly easily, but maybe I should wait before telling you how till you check James does not sell them anymore.

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

This shows you where mine is same place as Jack Flash here and here (ignore mark on the wing its not really there)the wasted spark coil sits on the old brakets from James Whiting's battery mount only I have removed the battery tray and put a plate in for the wasted spark coil.

The photo's are a bit old and a few bits look different now *smile*

'Can you hear me running' ......... OH YES and its music to my ears 😬 😬 😬

1988 200 bhp, 146 ft lbs, 1700cc Cosworth BD? engineered by Roger King, on Weber's with Brooklands and Clamshell wings, Freestyle Motorsport suspension.

Edited by - Bilbo on 11 Feb 2009 19:36:41