Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which is the better car?

Marcusbell

Can anyone offer advice on which is the best spec of 2 cars?

A 1991 1700 Supersprint with 135 bhp and a 1999 1600 VX Classic with 105 bhp (I think).

I currently own the Supersprint and I'm considering a change but will I notice a significant drop in performance and will the VX hold it's value for longer due to it's age?

Have I caught the rarest of diseases - downgradeitis *eek*

I agree with Chas, buy the VX and get the upgrade.

Henry (on here) had the conversion done for Circa £1000. Made my old 1.8VX Classic look very slow in comparison (plus it was much cheaper that the CC uprade). Mine was knocking out about 122bhp compared to Henry's 135.

Also VX is pretty much bomb proof.

Paul

The supersprint has cloth seats, de dion axle, standard roll bar 15" wheels and old style indicator mounts.

The VX has drivers tillett, S type leather passengers seat, full roll cage, plumbed fire extinguisher, lower mileage and I guess, although I have not seen the car in the flesh, the bodywork will be in better condition.

I guess that the question that no-one dares ask is what condition the xflow is in. If it needs a major rebuild (and many say that 31000 is well worn) then the downgrade pays for itself in reliability provided you can con someone into buy a Seven with a knackered engine!

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Assuming same price and on info given, VX everytime. Bullet proof, newer,ideal for L7C Class 1 sprints, you will know every Caterham you pass on a track day will be because you are a better driver and more power than you can usefully use on the road.

MikeW

Mega Grad

The VX has drivers tillett, S type leather passengers seat, full roll cage, plumbed fire extinguisher,.....

That could well be an ex-Scholarship/Academy novice's race car then *eek*

From your description the SS has a road car bias, and you'll know some if not all of its history.

Having said that, I bought a second hand ex-Scholarship VX 1600 and had no problems at all in three years, so reliability shouldn't be much of a problem. But personally, I'd stick with the Ford.

RW04FUN

1567 miles.....running in nicely 😬

Marcus, the upgrade is very straight forward and there are 5 or 6 people who have done it so far . I pulled into Penn 7's the other day and someone who knows my car well remarked how different it sounded - the improvement in performance and suprisingly fuel economy is brilliant. The conversion has transformed the car. Total cost if you do the spanner work yourself is about £850 and worth every penny.