Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rose Joint?

kirium

Has anybody rose-jointed their a-frame ? I am considering RJ my live axle as I am fed up replacing the a-frame bushes every 5 mins. Does anybody have good/bad experience of this? I understand that it maybe a little bumpy and a tad noisy ?

Any comments appreciated..

Regards

John.

I also considered this mod. But after extensive consolations with the experts, I came to the conclusion that replacing the bushes was not such a drama.

Apparently the bushes are supposed to be a week point, if you change them to a rose joint, something else will take the strain, which could be more costly.

Saying that, I know a chap who has had his A frame rose joined, and to my knowledge has had no problems.

Rgds, Robert

Caterham themselves sell a rose-jointed A-frame.

The frame itself costs the same as the std. one, but the r-j has to be added.

Circlip retainers and smallish cone-shaped spacers included.

I haven't driven mine, yet, but will report once the car is finished.

Well, 'if' ... considering my 'speed' ...

Cheers - Karsten

• 16 years later...
I also inherited a rose joined a frame. To my mind this set up must eliminate movement vs the rubber bush arrangement particularly as they wear and age. Only watch out is that there is play between circlips and bearing. I bought 0.1mm shims so now, in theory, play is less that 0.1mm.

Given the cost of the spherical joint I made some rubber seals to keep as much dirt and muck out as possible.

Measure inside diameter of Ä" arm and of the tapered spacers, use the smaller dimension, cut approx 6mm thick rubber sheet to size.

When assembling apply a wodge (technical term) of grease between the joint and the seal, put all the pieces in place and fit to  A arm, mine's lasted ages, no going back to squidgy rubber things now, besides which the A arms are differently constructed. 

Regards, Nigel.

Any idea of what they might be called?

The spherical joints?

There's a fair bit on this option in the archives but it's scattered across a lot of threads. Main points seem to be:

1. A few 7s get a  lot of wear.
  2. There's some doubt that spherical bearings are appropriate to the loads.
  3. Redline offered an A-frame with Rose joints for £120 in 2015. That's where I'd start if this was of interest.

Jonathan

I have a red line rose jointed (spherical bearing is the correct term) A frame on my live axle car.  Fabulous thing, no more wasted time replacing bushes.  Avoid the poly bushes on ebay, they didn't last 3 laps at brands on my car. It wasn't cheap but compared to loosing time on track days swapping the bushes its actually paid for its self quiet quickly.  Sperical will be easy to  swap as its just retained with circlips. 

I spoke to Redline yesterday and they are expecting a batch in in the next couple of weeks. I will be going the route after thinking about it for a while - normally just after changing the bushes. So guess what I did this weekend and mine always end up as a fight (I suspect the diff plates are a little tight on my Ford axle).

Phil