Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Yamaha R1 engine in a Caterham

Violet Elizabeth

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An R1 engine (11000rpm max ?) with a 3.54 ratio on 185/70/13 gives a maximum calculated speed of 128mph in top.

Drops to 120mph with 60 profile.

My planned GSXR1000 with a 3.27 ratio-ed live axle has a theoretical max of 137mph on my existing 70 profile A021's *eek* So thinking about some tyre changes !

Edited by - Noger on 16 Aug 2004 08:55:52

Can anyone suggest any other places which would be able to fabricate engine mounts and make chassis modifications for an R1/Blade install into a 7? Currently contacting Arch, Stuart Taylor, Kitcarworkshop, Seven Workshop. Any others I could try?

Ferrino: You've probably seen this but just incase......FWIW, I'm just going to make a pattern and get some made - try and do as much as I can myself rather than pay £3K or something stupid for the installation. Force Racing will do a full install for £3K, or so I've been told.

Accumulating bits . . .

Paul Thompson: There's nothing special about the R1 engine other than it makes more power than the Fireblade for not much more weight.

From memory, approx std power figures:

Fireblade: 135 bhp

R1: 160 bhp

Hayabusa: 175 bhp

There are of course other engines such as the ZX12R, GSX1100R, GSX1400, ST1000 . . . .

Accumulating bits . . .

And the GSX-R1000 *smile*

The R1 *is* special in that it is fairly square and upright (pre '04), has a cable clutch, the drive sprocket is fairly central so prop angles are good... and particularly special is a built in oil cooler. It also can get away with not being dry sumped. An all round good egg *thumbup*

This months Kit Car magazine has a section on mad BEC's including a 180bhp Gixxer in ... A Smart Car *eek* *eek*

I had a Westd1eld blade car IRS, sold on the guy now runs it on slicks (track days) no problem at all. There is a race/road Striker LA out there, hill climbs on standard tyres , track days on slicks with standard honda sump, been in car for 4 years, again no problem. The Stirker will handle as well as a Caterham, and will generate the same forces. It appears with the bike engines under 1000 cc no need to dry sump, over 1000cc more of an issue.

Contact Andy Griffiths as he has just built a Busa Caterham which ran rings round the R500evo at Oulton at the Cat CClub day, having said that Andy is a very good driver!

Fitting the bike engines into these cars is not difficult as the engines are light and manageable, IRO 60 kgs

A 'Blade engine in my little se7en feels pretty quick, but having ridden my old R1 back-to-back with a friends 98 'Blade, The Yam made the honda feel like a 600, so if the packaging stuff could be sorted an R1 would deffo be the nicer motor.

Still very happy with my 'Blade tho, especially since I got sensible (150lb) springs on the front and can go over 90mph without it bouncing off the road.

If anyone does get an R1 fitted in their Badgerum, would they please do the decent thing and paint it with a Kenny Roberts 'Yellow with Black squares' paint scheme 😬

Mark

Look it's Mavis here and Jubilee 7 here

Not that many ZX12R BECs about, so could get expensive. Sounds fun though.

I am not that sure that the V-twin approach is the best thing, lovely though the sound would be.

The low-ish RPM and gearing would be mean having to go for quite a long diff ratio, not sure that anything is available for the Live-Axle, would need the Quaife 3.14.

With a 3.27 ratio, the max potential speed of an LA 998 on 032R's is 109mph ! Even with the 3.14 it is still only 114mph.

Edited by - Noger on 25 Aug 2004 10:38:08

The noise would be fantastic ... but it is not the fastest way, grunt or no grunt.

With the slightly lower bhp at slightly lower rpm, longer internal gearing, and the requirement for a longer diff .... a 2002 998 R powered Quaife de-Dion is 90 ft.lbs (at rougly the same mph) down AT THE WHEELS on a 2002 GSXR1000 powered Live Axle.

*mad* One day i will get shorter/longer gearing right *confused*

Edited by - Noger on 25 Aug 2004 10:37:28