Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Yamaha R1 engine in a Caterham

Violet Elizabeth

Stuart Taylor built a Pheonix (Like a Striker with a body, or a Fisher Fury) with a Honda SP1 motor.

Apparently it felt quicker than a 'Blade but was harder to drive, which is the opposite to how they feel in the bikes. *confused*

Dan would know better than me, but I think the RGB Regs define classes based on Manufs claimed output, which may put something like an SP1 or 998 in the 'Fast' class against ZX12s, 'Birds and Busas, where they could be 30bhp down at the wheels.

Mark

Look it's Mavis here and Jubilee 7 here

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Yamerham 😬

The good thing about the cradle is that you can fiddle about with the installation position without needing to lift the engine (not that they are heavy).

According to Ian we will need to save some money for new pants and trousers too *wink* He can spin the rear wheels in 5th *eek* in his and after half a season of RGB racing has only just got confident with applying full power.

According to Ian we will need to save some money for new pants and trousers too. He can spin the rear wheels in 5th in his and after half a season of RGB racing has only just got confident with applying full power.

Cynics would say it was more likely his wallet that reduced the confidence in applying full power considering the number of engines that went pop when giving it full beans in the RGB a few months ago 😬

Seriously though, they seem fine since being dry sumped, looks a nice install *thumbup*

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Nog, sorry I haven't read EVERYTHING in this thread, so if you've already been over this, just ignore me, but I was wondering...

If you use a dry sump, is there any reason why the engine can't be canted over as far as you like (ie up to about 60 Degrees) without worrying about the oil?

Why did you go for the 1000 instead of the 1300?

Charlie - Not sure about the technical implications of canting the engine over. But you are rather limited in what you can do tilt wise. It can only really rotate around the optimum line of the propshaft. Can't go any more over towards the passenger side, as the head comes up against the chassis side rail, and this also means the throttle bodies are sticking up more, which causes more problems with getting the filter/airbox under the bonnet. And going towards the driver side makes the engine even taller, as it is angled from sprocket output up to the passenger side.

Reasons for going with the 1000 was price, low weight, not *too* much power for my poor Ital Axle, STM have done several before and have the "bits". But mostly, the 'Busa has been done before and I like to be different *tongue*

Dino - very true *smile* the chassis is going to Arch to some extra triangulation if required. It may not be, as by using an engine cradle this provides a bit of bracing. Even so I think Arch will have to put some new shorter members in.

The birth of the Gixxerham : pics here drivel here

• 3 weeks later...

Well after quizzing several different companies about the fabrication of a mounting solution for my R1 (with quite a wide range of quotes/strategies/enthusiasm/confidence), I have decided to go with Ian Gray's (STM) cradle. Hoping to get the chassis/engine up there in the next few weeks so that I can crack on with lots of other installation bits at Xmas.

Noger - Ian says that his new exhaust guy is making some pretty stuff - can't wait to see some pics.....

Lobbying Caterham for a new badge....

Ian is not talking to me after he spent ages trying to get the propshaft to fit. Might be worth having a word about what the problem was.

Good news on the exhaust chap *thumbup*

I think my diff was due back this week, so hopefully things might be coming along. Gear linkage was next on the agenda I think.

Better get yours up there quick, before he decides Caterhams are too much like hard work *tongue*

The birth of the Gixxerham : pics here drivel here