Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Yamaha R1 engine in a Caterham

Violet Elizabeth

Might be worth having a word about what the problem was.

I think it concerned the location and fitting of the centre bearing. I think he said he placed it under the 'arch' that the gearstick pivots on, after much modification to get it in there! He cursed at the narrowness of the Caterham tunnel a few times, but said that he was very happy with the way the prop ended up.

What work was being done on your diff? Was he having the 3.27 CWP fitted elsewhere?

Are you going for his cable-operated paddle shift or the standard 'stick-shift?

Lobbying Caterham for a new badge....

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya Chaps *smile*

I'll bet Ian Gray tried to fit his Locoblade centre bearing mount into the Caterham tunnel, then found the same as me....

It don't fit *thumbdown*

On Mavis I ended up with the 'Ears' of the bearing going up-n-down rather than left-n-right (as in most applications) which means a more fiddley mount is needed, just because the tunnel is so narrow.

I then spent hours grazing my knuckles trying to get a spanner into this wee space.....

But I've now got a 20mm dia hole in the tunnel side, under my left knee, to stick a socket through to tighten it 😬

And...We're welcoming a GSXR1000 engine to North Yorks next week, just as soon as Cooose's Striker loses it's crossflow *thumbup*

Mark

Look it's Mavis here and Jubilee 7 here

• 14 years later...

Just found this thread in the archives, following the birth of a few BECs back in 2004, including my R1.

I know Paul Jacobs now owns Charlie Pank's R1, but is Noger's Gxxrham or Violet Elizabeth's cars still around?

Clive

( Never did get a 20 valve badge)

Hi Ivaan, yes I've still got Charlies old R1 Seven, now a fully civilised road going car with carpets, heater, full weather equipment, 15"  CR500's and an electric reverse.

BECs are interesting cars, a sort of A - A car in that you go for your blat for a couple of hours, drive like a loony (not me of course), then come back home and put the car away for another few weeks, because they are so intense.  I have a pal in the same village who put a Busa engine into his Seven and he finds the same.  I have driven on reasonable journeys too, but if I have a choice, I seem to gravitate towards a car with doors, wind up windows and a radio.

How many others on here have a BEC?

Hi Tony, You'll be pleased to know that the R1 is still going strong. Had a blast around Anglesey on Monday and as once I'd got the suspension setting right, and the fuel level dropped it was holding it own. Probably done 50-60,000 miles in her now, and on the 3rd engine. Disc conversion on the rear and dual master cylinders with bias bar have worked wonders for on the braking.

Have you made any progress on getting another 7?

Wow, 50-60K miles, that’s really impressive! Are you still running the Protech dampers? What’s the story with the engine replacements?

A few weeks ago I bought a used LHD Arch chassis, which will be the foundation of a ground-up build, which I’m really looking forward to. Planning on a 2.0 Duratec this time.