Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Noisy Horns

Steve-B

Anyone got around to fitting louder horns to their car? I'm concerned that I've almost been

hit/side swiped/backed into, and the CC horn isn't loud enough.

Thought about some lorry airhorns, but don't want to faff about with the air gizmo.

Surely there must be something easy piezy to fit that will go in standard place, and

double/treble the horn volume 🤔

i found this sitehere in america that seems to have quite loud (120-130dB) horns that don't require air, and they're affordable.

unless i get them shipped to my parents in texas, i've not found a similar place in the UK, but i'm sure someone will come along and correct me

Steve B

Faster than the Speed of Dark Join us on the USA 2005 tour......HERE

Am V surprised ... a set of cheap readily available FIAM twin air Horns and their Air compressor has been "mandatory' equipment on my Lotii since '73.

Small and easily located.. the sound is 'attention getting' especially so for those 'dimly aware' types. DO mount the comp V close to the trumpets as there is a Lag that is directly correlated to compressor tubing distance to the Horns.

Steve,

I have fitted these here.

They do a good job and are bloo*y loud. 😬 😬 😬. If you have a look in Halfords they often price them wrong *confused*, so that a pack of two is half the price of one. I picked up a pair for £8-£9 😬 😬 😬

Doug

Su77on Se7ens

See our web site here.

Bugger...... I aint done it yet

Edited by - Doug Phillips on 16 Aug 2003 18:25:37

Agree with Bare. I've fitted the FIAM twin air horns and would never go back to the standard Caterham offering. Give the 7 what it deserves; the standard horn is fit for a Morris Minor, and not much else besides. Not that I've anything against Minors, you understand!!

Zetec: Proud and Raw-T !! *eek*

C7 LDA

Steve-B (what are you doing playing up here?)

I fitted an unbranded version of the FIAM air-horns to the 21 (I got them from VWP but they're the same as the ones you can get in Halfrauds and other motor factors.

They're way louder than the originals (they really hurt if you test them in the garage), but may still not be enough for your Texan standards *smile*

Honda Passion Orange, 640kg *eek*, and proud of it *smile*

Edited by - c21vhpd on 18 Aug 2003 15:00:59

craig, after the very ugly scene recently in the place you know where, i've not been going back there.... *thumbdown*

i need very loud horns, i've got a reasonably loud SV-VHPD, but need something to scare the bejesus out of the tw4ts and make them take notice/heed.. *mad* *mad*

the ones that f355's shown look sufficient, and have a very nice price. 110dB should be a good start IMHO 😬 *thumbup*

Steve B

Faster than the Speed of Dark Join us on the USA 2005 tour......HERE

Funnily enough, I've done a bit of research on this since you started the topic.

My standard fit horns are [ur=http://www.leb.it/lebgb/2gb.htm]LEB model K91 in high & low tone. Apparently they exude 112db(A) at 2m. The single horn on my other kit car is also made by LEB I think, looks very similar to the identically loud T91. The problem of course is comparing noise levels when you can't ascertain how the noise level was measured.

I definitely want to do something about my horn though. Slightly worried that if it's too loud you'll be unable to give a gentle 'toot' to wake pedestrians up etc.

Just fitted a pair of Twin Tone Electric horns from Car Builder Solutions here

They were 26.44 inc VAT and shipping 😬

BOY are they LOUD. They give a PARP; a more trumpet-like note than the feeble beep from the standard Caterham article. Definately go with the spirit of the 7 😬

Bit bigger, but I'd hazard a guess, no heavier.

Unfortunately didn't notice my cat sitting about 20 metres in front of car when testing took place - he'll never be the same again *eek* Fastest I've EVER seen him move.

BRG SV 😬 It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)