Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can you drive your car to the IVA test ?

Ainsley

Is it like the MOT, where if booked you can drive there ?

Or am I being daft as the car may not pass and therefore may not be safe to drive from a legal perspective.  But then again what if you fail the MOT, can you drive it back home ?

I'm now thinking ahead having just booked the PBC and IVA and then thought Id have to hire a trailer or get Caterham to trailer it at my cost.

(Bored at work dreaming of my 7)

Yes, you can definitely drive to the IVA. I throughly enjoyed doing so as it was a beautiful day and the journey home was even better.....and a bit longer 😉

I would say it is helpful to bed the brakes in properly on the way. I think that helped as my handbrake was still a little bit marginal at the time of the test. You also need to turn up with nearly full fuel in the car I seem to recall. I found a fuel station a few miles out of my way so I could enjoy the journey!!

2 hours ago, Ainsley said:

So, can you drive it back if it fails ? 

I assume I would need to make sure I'm insured even thought I wont have a number plate ?

Yes - ask me how I know…. (don’t trust Caterham’s PBC to be particularly thorough and take a very circuitous route to your test centre to get the brakes bedded-in)

Yes - you can insure on the chassis number.

OK, that's good to know.

I have the kit insured on its chassis number, so that should take care of insurance, but will inform them.

It seems daft you cant drive to the PBC, but you can drive to (and fail and drive back) from the IVA test.

Brake bedding it will be done as you suggest.

So, BigCol, just what did you fail your IVA on that was not picked up at the PBC ?

I'm on a mission to make sure Silverstone fail miserably to pick me up on anything for the PBC.  I've been looking at all the PBC blogs and will try to ensure its a clean PBC.

Any suggestions and tips welcome.

I can only imagine that should something that would be a safety issue be found you would not be able to drive home after a failure.  I had a few minor issues that could have been rectified at the IVA with the tools and stuff I took along but my biggest issue was paperwork related, IIRC an incorrect engine number on the certificate of newness that required a replacement.  I’d also recommend checking over the car after the PBC, mines was returned with the rear wheels having been replaced on the wrong sides - my photo of the car on the flatbed as it left for the PBC showed I had them on the right way.

I’d recommend taking as much paperwork as you’ve got on the car, some of which you need anyway but definitely a certificate of insurance, just in case you get stopped by the police as happened to me.

Steve

59 minutes ago, Ainsley said:

OK, that's good to know.

I have the kit insured on its chassis number, so that should take care of insurance, but will inform them.

It seems daft you cant drive to the PBC, but you can drive to (and fail and drive back) from the IVA test.

Brake bedding it will be done as you suggest.

So, BigCol, just what did you fail your IVA on that was not picked up at the PBC ?

I'm on a mission to make sure Silverstone fail miserably to pick me up on anything for the PBC.  I've been looking at all the PBC blogs and will try to ensure its a clean PBC.

Any suggestions and tips welcome.

Great that your at the stage to be booking the IVA, just in time for summer 😎

Who have you insured with off of the chassis number?

Chris. 

Yes, no doors and mirrors on windscreen stanchions.

I was chuffed that the only thing Williams found to do on my PBC was to add a single cable tie to the end of the throttle cable where it joins the inlet manifold. I still have no idea why either, it seems completely pointless. Oh, and they lent me the collapsible steering column too.

Right, that sets the bar quite high then for the PBC issues list.

I'm going to set aside a whole day for just checking the little things and probably a week of looking under the bonnet of my mates 420R that was factory built.

As a minimum, take tools to be able to remove pedal box cover if asked and to align the headlights. My tester was super friendly, helpful and knowledgeable - he even knew how to recalibrate a Caterham speedo (my 170 only just passed that) and I didn't know that the low brake fluid light only comes on if handbrake is off (it is the same light!). I failed on emissions and my wife could not understand why I was grinning when I got home, but I'd just driven the car I'd built for 20 miles on a sunny morning of course!!

Enjoy your drive and the IVA.

(By the way, I realised after I got home that I needn't have been quite so cautious with speed cameras as no registration plate 🙂)

Edited by CAT170

On 04/04/2024 at 08:34, Ainsley said:

A variety of things….
partially as my tester was in turn being tested by someone from head office so was super-diligent and mis-applied some of the regulations (and to be fair, we had subsequent emails and conversations where I quoted particular passages so he conceded it got it wrong) but
mainly brakes (rears locked first, hence the suggestion that you take the long way to the test),
headlight alignment (would’ve let me adjust if the brakes hadn’t been the kicker; as they did at the retest!) and
a lack of covers for bonnet latches (I sent the car to its PBC as it would be presented at its IVA and Caterham didn’t send them back.  Car arrived back a5:30pm; IVA was 8am the next day!)

Caterham sent me some 1144 pads and I drove for at least an hour to the retest (which I was able to book within a week of the first test) braking regularly until I got the tyres at the front to squeal!

Retest covered only the failure points - so the paperwork took longer.  I was then able to take everything to the local DVLA office (they existed in 2013!) to make sure everything, included the retention certificate for a vanity plate, was all OK.

I went in holiday the next day for a week and the V5 was amongst the post when we got home.

Get the feeling timescales aren’t so good these days… 🤷🏻‍♂️

When I enquired about driving to the IVA test myself, my insurer advised that I was insured to drive there (unknown risk) and insured to drive back if I passed (known risk) but not insured to drive back if I failed (known bad risk)… I suggest it’s worth double checking!

In the end I came to an arrangement with Caterham Oakmere who moved the car around for me for a reasonable rate 🙂 I’m glad I did because my test was 21st December and the weather was much less than ideal!

And mine outright failed on emissions in the first part of the IVA test but the examiner was OK with doing the test and the end and it sailed through with flying colours… the whole system has to be super hot to pass, just having the coolant fan running isn’t enough evidence of it being hot…

… and neither was singing the examiner’s sleeve on the first exhaust primary!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/04/2024 at 10:41, Ainsley said:

MSM Insurance, they were very helpful and understood Caterham's.

What price did you settle for with this, I'm in the process of insuring my kit as well. Adrian Flux didn't want to touch it in kit form!

On 05/04/2024 at 13:30, Ainsley said:

Cheers, I will spend some happy time bedding in the brakes and going over all the IVA checklists I can find.

Are you sending it for the PBC before the IVA? I was thinking about getting the PBC and IVA done by Caterham at the same time to make life easier! Also when did you first register that you wanted an IVA doing, the moment you received the kit?