Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Calliper paint

Ainsley

I noticed on my callipers a nice "7" and wondered if its possible to highlight this bit by painting it a matching colour with the Yellow bits on my car.

I don't want to remove them and send them off for painting, rather just me and a tiny paint brush to highlight the "7".  

I assume I need some sort of high temperature paint ?  Anyone got any suggestions ? Anyone done this ?

Thanks.

I went for the Demon Tweeks website - since the delivery driver is now on first name terms, and picked "Performance Yellow" to match the Yellow stripe on the car.

Pictures will be forthcoming 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

What was the exact paint you used from demon (do you have a link?) I'm thinking about painting mine red to match the car. 

(still waiting on my kit here!! It's been waiting on one part, some fuel module, for 4 weeks now before they can send it!) 

I was hoping to paint both calipers then use another colour for the lettering, looks like the demon one is also a lacquer too. 

In the past I've used a separate paint and laquer, and the laquer always eventually peels off, so I'd rather go for quality in this case as I don't want to do it again. The demon one looks good. 

Can caliper paint be applied in-situ with masking of the disc/pads?  I'd be half tempted to this to the family barge, but not enough to want to remove the caliper, break the hydraulics and rebleed a modern tintop.      

Standard 420R spec, so not the 4 pots basically.

I'm not planning on tracking the car and as standard it doesn't have any problem locking up the wheels, I figured I didn't need bigger brakes.  For the one or two track days I may do, I'm not going to be suffering from brake fade. 

My racing days are now a distant memory.

Ainsley, a little off topic, you have black bonnet springs and I assume the catches. I hope you don’t mind me asking, where did you source them from? Back on track and the highlighted 7 on the callipers looks great   *thumb_up*

Ralph

I got them from Redline - just rang them up as I couldn't find them on their website.  Very helpful.

But beware, its a scary, delicate job drilling out the existing ones.  Sounds straight forward, but you are acutely aware of leaving a big scratch in your paintwork or snapping a drill bit in half part way through the job.  Also I think the rivets are imperial and  I was half way between a 3mm and 4mm drill bit.

Use the best drill bits you can and as soon as they seem blunt use a sharp one.