Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine rubber fitment

CO2MAX

My 420S SV build is coming along but it seems I’ve got many of the same issues as others have experienced. I haven’t found anyone mention this problem however (or maybe the solution is too trivial to blog about🤔):

I got as far as test fitting my engine rubbers today only to discover that the RHS rearmost section sits on top of a weld and won’t level out onto the chassis  - also whilst the bolt doesn’t actually foul on the vertical chassis member it does appear very close. Before I contact Caterham for their input, has anyone here come across this or have any suggestions? (the photos show where the engine rubber fouled on the weld and I managed to remove some powder coating before realising I had a problem🙄).

Cheers, Craig. 

IMG_3527.jpeg

IMG_3529.jpeg

IMG_3540.jpeg

The obvious answer is that the weld needs to be ground away to allow fitment which will of course damage the coating. You can also probably grind away a bit of the engine mount to minimise the amount of weld needing removing.

Edited by OldAndrewE
Words added
  • Like 1

I agree with Simon, relieve the mount.

On my 98 car the engine earth bolts to the chassis using one of the mount bolts. It is recommended to clean parts to bare metal to get a good contact. Bit of coppa slip prevents corrosion.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I was concerned about maintaining the integrity of the weld and/or the mount. I’ll take your advice and file down the mount just enough to get a good fit.

• 1 month later...

Could someone please confirm what bolts I need for fitting the engine rubbers to the chassis? I assume M8, but don't know which pack to source them from.

My kit contained a small box labelled engine  that had the mounts, rubbers, gearbox mount and the 1/2 UNF bolts, but no bolts for the rubbers. I've emailed buildsupport at caterham but have radio silence!

Be aware, they all need to stick out of the bottom the same length, I believe one of the bolts in the kit may be longer as it originally had to cope with the engine earth strap being fitted.  That is no longer advised so one bolt may be longer.  

I ended up not realising till I noticed it sticking out further than the others and had the pain of cutting it to match in situ.  Removing it is a worse pain as the engine mount ends up pulling the holes out of alignment and you spend ages loosening off all the engine mount bolts to line it all up.

1 hour ago, Matt420R said:

Could someone please confirm what bolts I need for fitting the engine rubbers to the chassis? I assume M8, but don't know which pack to source them from.

My kit contained a small box labelled engine  that had the mounts, rubbers, gearbox mount and the 1/2 UNF bolts, but no bolts for the rubbers. I've emailed buildsupport at caterham but have radio silence!

The size, torque and fastener pack code are in the 2015 Assembly Guide. Please let me know if you'd like a copy.

Jonathan

image.thumb.png.38be4ad8ca8964ca80bbe76a283cee05.png

They are in the miscellaneous pack 49. The give away is that there are 3 M8x45 bolts and 1 M8x50 for the earth that isn't used anymore! The M8 nyloc and washers are in the same pack. I left the single bolt long as a nod to the old days..

2 hours ago, Peter_V said:

They are in the miscellaneous pack 49. The give away is that there are 3 M8x45 bolts and 1 M8x50 for the earth that isn't used anymore! The M8 nyloc and washers are in the same pack. I left the single bolt long as a nod to the old days..

Thanks for the confirmation.

I managed to speak with someone at Caterham in the parts department (still no email reply from the build support email address!) who to be fair, went through my records and called me back to tell me that they are in pack 30P012B (pack 49) which I have as opposed to 30P012A which the 2015 guide refers to (and I don't have). I too had come to the conclusion that they would probably be the 3 M8x45 and 1 M8x50 which they confirmed.

I'll source my own M8x45 bolts to make sure have 4 alike! 

I get the impression that this will be the first of many times I think "Why didn't they just say that in the instructions!" 

Edited by Matt420R