Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Wheel nuts. (Idiot check)

So I’ve replaced the wheels and tyres on my 2005 CSR and purchased some nice black wheel nuts from Elise Parts as recommended by a member on here. No issue with the quality, but, the new ones are taller than the old ones so I now have spare threads showing on the nut. The stud doesn’t reach all the way to the end of the nut anymore.

In my mind I still have the same number of threads engaging the stud (as per the shallower original ones) but now the stud is recessed in the nut.

Is this ok or should I find shallower nuts? 

Pete, are your new wheels the same thickness through the stud mounts as the old ones?

The CSR studs on the front are shorter than the ones on new Caterhams and the nuts on mine (with standard wheels) are longer than the stud length.

Im going to replace the studs on mine for longer versions at some point, but it isnt a 100% necessity. It may be in your case though if your new wheels have reduced the thread engagement.

As a minimum you will want 10mm of engagement of an M12x1.5 at 85Nm, but ideally you’d have 18mm (1.5x diameter)

Edited by SamC

Posted (edited)

The wheels are another set of the standard 15” 10spokes. The nuts are around 3-5mm taller than the old ones. When I get home later I’ll take a couple of pictures, everything's easier with pictures. 

I’m not a fan of fitting longer studs as its only a road use 7. The occasional high speed “70mph” and some country lanes. I can’t justify the cost of the longer studs and fitting when I can just put the old nuts back on, although they are tired and tatty.

Edited by PlastererPete

Posted (edited)

So just got home and took some photos and measurements. 

Old nuts:- 21mm 

New Nuts:- 25mm

Unengaged thread is on the new nut is around 3mm.

All of the old nuts are engaged with the stud so I’ve got 21mm on the new nuts that are engaged so guessing its still ok?

IMG_3517.thumb.jpeg.8472042ee984f0d07459cf180a75c8ea.jpegIMG_3516.thumb.jpeg.158130bcc70c25e5ee46fe513290ad10.jpegIMG_3519.thumb.jpeg.9126ef5727c5452cbad8b11eede13ba4.jpeg

Edited by PlastererPete

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, SamC said:

The cone angle looks different to me? If the angle is different, that’s a big problem.

60deg taper as far as I’m aware….. i’ll check it though

Edit:- Yep both measure the same angle. Just the new ones have a longer angle section

Edited by PlastererPete
  • Like 1