Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Transmission Noise?

Stu Smith

I don’t know if my car has always had this transmission noise or not.I’ve been wearing good quality ear defenders which have blocked out most of any noises for sometime now. When I’ve recently took the ear defenders off whilst driving, I’d really forgotten how much wind and transmission and exhaust  noise there is!

I will try and describe the noise. When stationary with the engine idling and in neutral foot off the clutch pedal there is a what I can only describe has rotating wearing noise which disappears when I depress the clutch pedal. The noise will come back as I slowly let the clutch pedal back up to the biting point, car still in neutral. I can’t really hear the noise when moving.

Something to be concerned about or is this me being overly cautious?

1.6 Sigma with 5 speed Type 9 gearbox.

Edited by Stu Smith

2 hours ago, Nigel Blandin said:

Sounds like the clutch release bearing ( thrust bearing). Cheap as chips, motor out job though.

They all go sooner or later, try not to rest your foot on the pedal while driving. 

If it was a cable- clutch K, I'd agree, but a Sigma has a near indestructible concentric slave. My vote is with the layshaft, especially with a T9.

JV

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Vine said:

If it was a cable- clutch K, I'd agree, but a Sigma has a near indestructible concentric slave. My vote is with the layshaft, especially with a T9.

JV

Tut! Tut! Can’t use the term ‘slave’ anymore! Go to the back of the queue!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10956915/Woke-Jaguar-Land-Rover-bosses-ban-word-slave.html

😂🤐

Edited by Englishmaninwales

After reading these posts the majority are for the layshaft. Has my old dad used to say “let it develop” 

Thank you all, and I shall remember not to call a sl*^e cylinder a sl*•e cylinder anymore 🙈

2 hours ago, Stu Smith said:

After reading these posts the majority are for the layshaft. Has my old dad used to say “let it develop” 

Thank you all, and I shall remember not to call a sl*^e cylinder a sl*•e cylinder anymore 🙈

Could you call it a “Subservient component in the hierarchy of the clutch management structure” ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Tom_Arundel said:

Anyone see the `new` Dambusters movie where the dog is now `Trigger or Digger` ....OK in fiction but not in history!

I presume you have oil in the box!

I did have oil in when last checked in September. No signs of any oil on the garage floor or around the gearbox.

1 hour ago, Tom_Arundel said:

Anyone see the `new` Dambusters movie where the dog is now `Trigger or Digger` ....OK in fiction but not in history!

I presume you have oil in the box!

That was actually first censored in the late 90s. A few years back the name was removed from the dog’s memorial at the RAF base. 

2 hours ago, Wrightpayne said:

What are the ‘new’ acceptable engineering terms - primary / secondary?

I recommend these articles:

and I was surprised by how many different technologies use the wording: mechanical engineering, computing, creative media production...

It looks as if there was a notice at JLR but I can't find what it actually said.

Surrogate is a very poor surrogate. 

Leader/follower and primary/secondary would work in many settings.

Primary/replica puzzled me for a bit: I think that it came from production of creative media and that it would work well there but not for hydraulic cylinders. I don't expect mastering or master copy  to disappear in the near future.

Or master/slave.

Jonathan

• Leadership Team

Stuart, which oil are you using in your T9? Redline MTL will result in more layshaft noise than the standard Ford oil. Also a lighter flywheel often highlights more layshaft noise.

Stu.

Hijacking the thread, my gearbox is VERY noisy…. but only in one gear. (Caterham 6 speed box) 

its “caterham loud” in all gears and rattles at idle - the usual. Diff noise, bag of spanner’s we’ve all come to expect.

but when I shift into 6th it becomes horrifically noisy - as if the world is about to end.drop back into 5th or other gears, noise stops, back into 6, noise comes back. Like a switch has been flicked and volume goes from 1-11. 
Especially loud at cruise speeds 50-60-70mph. so of course right where you want to drive it. It’s still noisy at lower speeds but your ears can handle it there.
Loaded up with wider throttle application the noise seems to go away, or is it least drowned out by a symphony of roller barrels and howling k series. 
I don’t know if it’s a particular resonance or what - but it’s pretty awful and really is ruining the car from point of any form of long journey.

gearbox was rebuilt when previous owner had it by road and race transmissions around 2500-3000 miles ago. 

I don’t know what gear oil is in it, assume stuff supplied by RRT ? level is fine and a quick finger dip test is of colour/smell you’d expect.
diff oil looked a bit past its best and having no history of it I decide to replace the diff oil with the RRT stuff, alongside a thorough cleaning out. but that didn’t seem to make any change (if anything it’s got louder…. or just getting worse) 

found a gearbox mount that was past its best and could see it had allowed things to be rubbing the chassis - EUREKA moment!! Maybe this is the resonance….
Put a new one on, still the damn same! 

done some googling and forum trawling and a noisy 4th is something that seems to regularly pop up, but no one seems to suffer with 6th?

am I alone with this? 

Edited by Colin_T
Additional information added