Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Windscreen Replacement

ScottR400D

Yes, Autoglass last summer via Adrian Flux insurance.

They went to Caterham and bought a full screen and surround as obviously Caterham themselves won't sell official glass-only.

The only hitch was they were insistent I went to Southampton not Poole as they had an experienced guy there who would fit it.

So I drove the C7 instead of the estate car...then they just handed it to me and looked nonplussed when I asked about the fit. But seen as I had preferred to fit it myself in the first place, I just swapped it out there and then having done a few screen swaps before, took about 15 minutes.

I had a replacement screen via insurance a few years ago.  The approved repairer was National Windscreens, who first of all suggested they replace just the glass.  When I asked whether that was a Caterham-approved item, they said no, so I opted for a full CC-supplied screen instead.  NW delivered it to my door, but were more than happy for me to fit it myself. 

JV

I'm with Footman James and they use National Windscreens.  FJ were excellent but NW were a disaster, took nearly 3 weeks to get the screen from CC said they were out of stock but when I checked with CC they had plenty in stock as did Redline.  When they eventually arrived to fit it there were two of them, one with one brain cell and the other with a few more but neither had fitted a 7 screen before so I had to keep an eagle eye on them both.  They struggled with the rubber seal getting it to fit and sit flat and had to use a heat gun, which I was not at all happy about due to concern about damaging the paint.  The last problem was cutting the ends off the seal but they eventually managed it.  I said I would connect the two wires for the heated screen, which I did later on as they had taken well over an hour to fit the screen.

CC say that they no longer supply glass only because so many people, fitters and DIY, were breaking the glass while trying to fit it to the surround.

Finally, for some old yellow blatchat nostalgia, what has happened to the guy that used to reply to these threads by suggesting GO AERO! *biglaugh*

David

#5 I would, I'm aware of what they do but firstly I have to contact the insurer who according to their terms limit the payout if you don't go with their preferred supplier. 

Interestingly if their supplier, as mentioned above, simply supplied an assembly from CC it will cost twice what it would cost from 7&C. But that will be up to them. 

#6 under no circumstances will they be allowed to fit to the car! Why would you let them try? My car's already set up for screen or Aero and it's a 10 minute job for me to swap. 

I only use aero on track. Wouldn't have wanted to be a passenger when this happened if there'd been no screen:

7a8930bc-510b-46d4-baa3-789612779629.thumb.jpeg.a0db5f3daf7b7f0edacea418d0266a9c.jpeg c3b7330f-d73e-4df1-9c64-c00c6d6ea503.thumb.jpeg.e179086bbdb42c8b3438c1d171139e87.jpeg

I pity you people in UK, since moving to NZ i have had three new screens, yes the roads are krap, and never had any problem with the glazing company messing about,

I do always remove the screen assembly, and they cut new glass and install to frame, then etch the AS / NZ stds number.

I can't understand how something so simple can turn into such a performance, the glass needs replacing, not the frame as well, sounds like a money gouging rort. 

Car insurance in the UK almost always includes windscreen cover subject to a small excess, without affecting future premiums, so it's not a major cost to the owner. 

We're also obliged, I understand, to have a heated screen so can't just get a plain glass fitted. 

It appears that 7s&Classics ask £288 for a heated screen, another £114 (£402 total) to fit to existing frame. CC ask £840 for a full assembly. 
Either way it'll cost me £100. 

It's a pain sorting out the excess on the screens. I had a local glass supplier cut  2 screens from laminated glass which was a bargain. No heating elements of course. It was a good move overall as I fitted one and then 6 weeks later a pigeon smashed the screen.
Hey Ho, the joys of motoring.

I had one changed back in June on my S3, A-plan were the broker, Markerstudy the insurer and Autowindsreens replaced both frame and screen together.

The guys at Autowindsreens High Wycombe were excellent and did a very good job, I was able to join them as they did the work and had a good chat about the 7 and cars in general. Cost me about £100 in excess from memory, simple and hassle free and would happily use them again.