Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Black wheel nuts

Bert320

Marginally, as they are shorter due to being open ended - a feature I was keen on so I could see they were on fully.

The early ford hub cars (mine is 1998) had short studs where the threads only engaged 5 turns. The engineering acceptability of this was debated on the forum many years ago and the general consensus was it was borderline.

At some point in production (early 2000s ????) a longer stud was introduced by Caterham. I retro fitted them.

An FYI for new members!! 5 turns to tighten then you have the short studs.

Ian

• Leadership Team

For what it's worth, Motorsport UK's  definition of safe engagement of wheel nuts is that they must be "in thread contact over a minimum length of 1.5 bolt/stud diameters". 

(Guess who got pulled up on this when I was slightly borderline a few years ago...)

• Leadership Team

For 12mm studs the minimum length would therefore be 18mm, definitely more than the 7.5mm that would be achieved with 5 turns of 1.5mm pitch threads!  The Elise parts nuts are 25mm long *thumbs_up_thumb*

Haha, I had heard stories about English drivers and their "special" interests, oh, you meant my titanium nuts?

I don't want to upset the purists out there but they are from a Chev.  I got them from the good ol US of A,via ebay. Cost to me was $87 dollars plus post to Australia for 20 nuts, 5 per wheel for Chev.  I figured 12 x 1.5 with a 60 degree seat was right for my Caterham, what could go wrong, in fact nothing did.  They fit like they were made for the Caterham.

I could quite easily cut these in half for my fitment, the last 1/2 inch is just to allow a socket to grip them in deep dish wheels. Inside the last half inch is a rubber seal to keep crap out of the threads.

The first thing you notice is how light they really are, my first thought was the thread will just pull out!20230714_075245.thumb.jpg.b49b2a408d8ed84ac37739b13a7b2003.jpg 20230714_075155.thumb.jpg.2547974a965b310873a82b88742ec466.jpg 20230714_075140.thumb.jpg.799807b4f15d4443b0d1464e62a6e6a4.jpg

Cheers

Dave