Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Took the Plunge..

Beagler

So the fly in the ointment. The immobilizer is not working so rang Troy at Northampton Motorsport and he is sending the electrical guy up to Blackburn to sort it. Now I know problems occur and things can go wrong but its how its sorted that counts in this case their no quibble action is commendable.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, robert green said:

Sounds good. You need to update the cam cover sticker from 152! Enjoy when the rain stops!

Have ordered a carbon fibre cover so will have Caterham and 310S on it.

You mean that sometimes the rain actually stops. 🤣🤣

1 hour ago, Beagler said:

Have ordered a carbon fibre cover so will have Caterham and 310S on it. (This isnt mine but their picture)

You mean that sometimes the rain actually stops. 🤣🤣

IMG_1935.jpeg

Edited by Beagler

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/10/2023 at 14:31, Beagler said:

So the fly in the ointment. The immobilizer is not working so rang Troy at Northampton Motorsport and he is sending the electrical guy up to Blackburn to sort it. Now I know problems occur and things can go wrong but its how its sorted that counts in this case their no quibble action is commendable.

An update to above thread.

Northampton Motor Sport  electrical engineer came up to Lancashire to resolve immobiliser issue but was unsuccessful. It may be the immobiliser unit has gone faulty coincidentally to the work carried out. Spoke to Troy the CEO and he is personally coming to pick the car up, take it back to Northampton to sort out. There are not many companies that would be determined to sort out a problem going to such trouble. I can only praise their customer service.

• Like 1

• Area Representative

"Caterham 310S" (or "R"? - I get confused easily)

I agree John. Is R for Race or Road? Is Sport for sporty driving or does sport inevitably mean track action?

No car can be "officially" any designation once it has been modified from its original specification.  I suspect that the majority of Sevens depart from factory specification during their lifetime.

GJT

After purchase from Caterham Gatwick it went back for replacement windscreen under warranty. Wile they had it I asked them to uprate the engine to 310 standard and they also re assigned it as a 310S and removed existing decals and fit the 310S. The car is insured as a 310S and insurer  was informed of changes.

IMG_1943.thumb.jpeg.be6359b9711582ae91f58d4079856552.jpegIMG_1944.thumb.jpeg.953ee5248e05bfe0d1d42237211e1ad6.jpeg

This is the ‘official’ position regarding upgrading from 270 to 310 and also the engine changes from 135 to 152hp. Taken from The Magnificent 7 (Chris Rees).

S=Street ie more road biased spec

R=Race ie more track biased spec

IMG_6331.jpeg

IMG_6332.jpeg

Edited by StevehS3
  • Thanks 1

• Area Representative

Interesting. I recall reading the bill of materials at the beginning of this thread. So the ECU was changed and then there was some additional new cabling to connect the solenoids and sensors to the new ECU.

It also interesting that NMS have used different/short throttle bodies keeping the air cleaner within the bonnet line unlike the Premier Power 175 upgrade.  I would expect that PP had some involvement as Troy and Stuart work a lot together.

Very nice!

Troy is a talented engine tuner whose skill is excellent. I can turn the ignition on from outside the car, press the starter and the engine will start first time and  idle smoothly. The engine prior would idle with an indicated rpm of 1400 now its about 1000 but more significant is this with a lightened flywheel. No more more Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on the overun. 🤣

19 hours ago, Beagler said:

An update to above thread.

Northampton Motor Sport  electrical engineer came up to Lancashire to resolve immobiliser issue but was unsuccessful. It may be the immobiliser unit has gone faulty coincidentally to the work carried out. Spoke to Troy the CEO and he is personally coming to pick the car up, take it back to Northampton to sort out. There are not many companies that would be determined to sort out a problem going to such trouble. I can only praise their customer service.

Hi Beagler

I will be very interested to hear what the outcome is.

I had my 310r upgraded to PP’s f175 and had the same issue.

Thanks for posting 

With regard to keeping the airbox within the bonnet:

I believe longer trumpets, aka velocity stacks, give more torque at higher RPM, whereas shorter ones move that lower down the rev range.  So for road use, shorter may be best, and you wont need a hole in the bonnet 🙂

Also, doesn't the Premier Power airbox provide the necessary noise suppression needed for track use ?

2 minutes ago, Ainsley said:

With regard to keeping the airbox within the bonnet:

I believe longer trumpets, aka velocity stacks, give more torque at higher RPM, whereas shorter ones move that lower down the rev range.  So for road use, shorter may be best, and you wont need a hole in the bonnet 🙂

Also, doesn't the Premier Power airbox provide the necessary noise suppression needed for track use ?

Midrange torque was my request as increased speed wasn't a requirement. Having road tested all I can say is WOW and I am still smiling.