Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mystery bolt - unidentified rattle from mid left hand side?

tompollock

I've been trying to find the cause of a rattle coming from the passenger side on lumpy blacktop.  Its not coming from the front or rear suspension and sounds like its coming more from the middle of the chassis, but where?

The exhaust mounting is sound with a new bobbin fitted, and the windscreen frame screws are all tight, as is the heater box assembly and the dry sump tank.  Not much else to rattle.

Then came across the Mystery Bolt (11/16 AF with a short head) on the inside of the "door" card adjacent to the lower edge of the dash.  Could this be the culprit?  This was a little loose and took nearly a full turn to tighten up. What does this retain?  There isn't a corresponding bolt on the driver's side.

Thanks in advance,

Tom.

Thin headed bolts are only used in two places - rear brake disc to hub and rear FIA bar or cage bolts that fit over the top of the shocks. The FIA bar bolts are 5/16 UNF (shiny top one) and the cage bolts are 1/2 UNF (powdercoat covered bottom one - used to hang the cage from when coating!)

are they like one of these...

BBAA75C9-9A8E-421D-AB1B-56BDC330D7D3.thumb.jpeg.c9e722fd217ac5917c52d67b49d2b724.jpeg

Yes, its bright cadmium plated and shiny.  Haven't taken it out to measure diameter but similar to the bolts that used to retain an old fashioned seat belt swivel bracket, the one mounted on a saloon B post.  The rattle occurs with a passenger strapped in so don't expect it to come from the seat belt or fittings.

• Area Representative

I had a similar annoying mid chassis noise in the nearside area that I could not locate by checking all the usual suspects.

Try checking the pax seat to rail attachments for tightness. Once tightened no more annoying 'buzz'.

My Sigma Roadsport had an annoying rattle from passenger side which took me ages to diagnose. Eventually tracked it down to loose rivets fixing the screen wash bottle bracket to the bulkhead. The noise reverberated like a drum! 
I drilled out the rivets and replaced with bolts & nyloc nuts. No more rattle (except the usual 7 noises).

It may not be your rattle, but worth checking. 

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll rule out the silencer for now because I've just had it off to get the front tube re-welded where it had parted company with the box itself - absolutely sound as a pound inside there with nothing loose, surprising after so many years. 

It's also just been through the MOT and I know what a stickler the tester is, he lets nothing through. I'll check the screen wash bottle though and anything else fastened with rivets. It's not going to get the better of me!

#14 ..... are you using the centre support ? If not it is common for the continual sag and bounce to fracture the front end of the silencer. Happened to me too. Now got another bracket welded to silencer to pick up centre support bush in the chassis. If you don't have the hole exposed, it is between 803-805mm from the rear one.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the suggestions .  My C7 is a 1990 1700 Supersprint (no honeycomb in those days!) with competition manifold. There is no centre exhaust support bracket on this model but that's just down to poor engineering in the first place.The system really needs extra support.

As I said I've just had the silencer front pipe re-welded to the main box after the weld failed. I'm amazed the manifold itself hasn't failed somewhere considering all the loads placed upon it.  A little job for me to rectify in the future.  I think I'll revisit the underside next and look around the gearbox mounting area for the source of the rattle.

Meanwhile here's the MYSTERY BOLT.  Lhs door card. Not one on the other side. Still no ideas anyone? 

BOLT_0.jpg.2bbb04d87515f5972e230f5a115feeba.jpg